Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tel-True Thermometer Stem Length?  (Read 1900 times)

peshewah

• Smokey Joe
Tel-True Thermometer Stem Length?
« on: January 02, 2014, 11:41:06 AM »
 I'm looking at the Tel-Tru thermometer at KCK dot com. Wanting to get 750 degree thermometer. but not real sure how long the stem should be. I'm going to put it thru the vent hole. KCK offers the 3.5"  and 5" stem. Any suggestion would be appreciated. I'm sorry, I have a 22" kettle.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 11:46:11 AM by peshewah »

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Tel-True Thermometer Stem Length?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 12:09:25 PM »
the 3.5 will be fine.

chances of the additional 1.5 inches providing better accuracy is slimmer than the chances of the additional length touching food unintentionally

the weber one only has a 1" stem, but it's lid mounted (which is what i use)

peshewah

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 12:28:38 PM »
Cool. Then I will order it. I would  like to mount it but kind of afraid to drill holes in it. Very proud of my new grill. Thank you for your time Troy and info.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 03:16:38 PM »
Cool. Then I will order it. I would  like to mount it but kind of afraid to drill holes in it. Very proud of my new grill. Thank you for your time Troy and info.

Welcome to WKC, Peshewah. You should be proud of your new grill! Drilling holes isn't always necessary- Check out this top vent rivet mod done by AZ_MIKEY. If you want to leave it in permanently you can replace the rivet with a therm and bolt it from the inside. Others have drilled a small hole in the existing rivet so that the probe can go through it.

Woke up at 7am had a cup of coffee and seen the girlfriend off to work and went out to check on the progress. Holding temp at 240° at both the lid therm and vent therm and at the grate 228°. Here are some action shots with the first light of the day.

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 03:40:52 PM »
I actually didn't do the rivet vent therm mod for the therm to be mounted it was kinda by accident and out if necessity, my 26er's lid area by the vent and the vent itself were in bad shape. So to reshape them I removed the vent and for a temporary fix I mounted the vent with a rivet I had at my shop. Well bring it home and I have a spot to hold my instant read therm(kinda nice like a MT therm) while cooking. Plus since my 26er has the lid therm I really didn't need this   but this therm does get closer to the grate. It has been interesting see the difference in readings from the lid therm to my instant read through the vent and the oven one I place at the grate, now with my Xmas gift from the girlfriend (ET-733) I can really experiment and see how each behaves differently. Was going to replace the rivet but now there is a lot more experimenting going to happen. All in the name of science and filling my belly with good food!
Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

peshewah

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 06:30:11 AM »
Thank you guys for the input.  Good thinking on the rivet. I might give it a little time to let the new to wear off before I do any mods.
   My 12 year old son is 5'11" and he wants tri-tip. Its 12 degrees outside with 2" of snow. More than likely I will give it a shot. Thanks again guys