Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Post your "Rookie Mistake Lists"  (Read 30133 times)

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: Post your "Rookie Mistake Lists"
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2012, 06:35:49 PM »
3 weeks ago I was doing another round of the marmalade siriracha wings, .....yeah totally forgot to put the drip pan underneath the wings, didn't realize this until I figured out why my one touch system was glued open. The next day when i spent an hour or so prying the blades loose and cleaning the shitty gooey mess out of the bowl. Almost bent the one touch lever working the blades loose. Lesson learned on that one!

Craig

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2012, 06:49:23 PM »
Yep, some of those glaze type things just plain turn to epoxy when heated, then cooled....come to think of it, I've had to fire up charcoal a few times just to get the gunk to ease up & come loose.......... :-[ :D
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Grillingtome

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2012, 04:24:45 PM »
Years ago with a challenge from my wife to switch places, she would grill and I would prep inside I took the shields out of my gas girl so it would flare up from the chickens.

I looked outside and she was in a scrape with flames everywhere!

No so funny today and definitely a rookie mistake!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2013, 02:56:59 PM »
I'm still making my rookie mistakes and so this thread is entertaining.

Some of mine are related to planning and timing. Those mistakes are boring but important.

I can tell you I no longer squirt or pour water on to cool a flare up unless I want ashes deposited on the food. Then again, I don't expect to be doing a lot of high, direct heating of animal fat going forward, which IMO is its own type of mistake.

I can tell you I won't be using any more lump charcoal before getting a proper mat under the grill. I have a few expensive, scarred deck boards as reminders.

Carry on!

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

bob hope

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2013, 07:03:35 AM »
TOOOOOO Much Smoke! that was my first real big screw up(of many). I had used a whole bag of chips on some pork steaks, Wow the smoke was so bad we couldn't eat the food!! Now i dont even use chips just chunks and only a couple.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 08:21:01 AM by bob hope »
Because Here we are Friends. Here we are Brothers.
A family in the name of Weber.

bryanw21157

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2013, 07:56:11 AM »
Mesquite with chicken.  Worst food I have ever made.    Blechhhh!
The only thing better than BBQ is more BBQ
Black Performer -- 18-1/2" Coca-Cola OTS -- Mini WSM -- 18-1/2" WSM -- 1997 Blue OTG -- 2014 Jumbo Joe / WSM

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2013, 08:19:24 AM »
Buying the wrong kind of grill! I wanted a Weber kettle but let my wife talk me out of it. Instead I bought a Char-griller horizontal grill/smoker.  It got me started on my path but I had way to many issues controlling the temp that ruined several cooks I was doing. Once I got my Weber I started getting the results I was looking for consistently. The kettle is also easier to upkeep during and after cooks too which is a HUGE plus for me.
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2013, 08:51:34 AM »
Mesquite with chicken.  Worst food I have ever made.    Blechhhh!

Is it just me or was mesquite really big (popular) back in the day? I remember as a kid my Dad and others using mesquite or hickory, didn't hear much about apple, cherry, or other woods being used.. or was that the extent of my little world at the time?  :-\

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2013, 01:17:33 PM »
I am a big fan of mesquite, not sure I ever had it with chicken.

My biggest mistake, adding K matchlight for more coal in the fire.  My food tasted like petroleum. 

I also used a full chimney of matchlight, the flame out of that thing was about 8 feet high.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2013, 02:08:54 PM »
I lit some matchlight in a chimney as well....I had the same results you had. That was the first time I used a chimney.....when I lit regular charcoal the next time I thought maybe I did something wrong.....no flamethrower effect, maybe the charcoal is bad....DUh! ;D
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

sunsanvil

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2013, 11:28:30 AM »
This is some time ago now back in my propane days.  Back then all we were doing were the proverbial burgers, sausages, and steaks.   Wanted to try ribs.  Got a lovely rack all coated in sauce, put the burners on low, and walked away thinking, with tragic incorrectness, that that constituted "low and slow".

No more than 30 minutes later I went to check on them....and there, literally, was nothing there. The meat was completely burned away and even the few blackened bones which remained were in danger of disintegrating....

On a more practical level, rookie mistakes made with the kettle: too much coal...all coals in the middle....trying to cook pretty much anything directly over the coals.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2013, 12:20:22 PM »

sunsanvil, take a look at these cookups from Cookingmama....she's got 'coal in the middle' down to a science.....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/food-pr0n/pork-steaks/

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/food-pr0n/game-day-goodies/

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/food-pr0n/flat-irons-ala-coal-saver/

There are others....her's & other folks.....I don't remember exactly whom........

PS: Nice low 'n' slow story.....been there.... :-[

sunsanvil

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2013, 02:32:19 AM »
When I said "coals in the center", I meant to say "coals over the entire aperture with no indirect areas anywhere". :)

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2013, 02:39:35 AM »
And I thought you were going to sew it on one of those Speedos you guys wear down there.  ;D

You need to wear it for the official portrait in front of GGG. When is the grand opening?

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2013, 06:24:20 AM »

MARTY.......................