Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What grill grate brush do you use?  (Read 3132 times)

salad

• WKC Ranger
What grill grate brush do you use?
« on: December 22, 2013, 05:26:10 PM »
I need a new brush and I was going to go with Weber's bamboo handle but then I saw they may a "3 side" brush that looks like a triangular piece of pipe cleaner.  I've never used one of these. 
So I ask the experts, what is the best reasonably priced brush to get? 
WTB 18 fruit

gunner

• WKC Brave
Re: What grill grate brush do you use?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 07:07:22 PM »
I have the 21" Weber grill brush and it's great, but I honestly wish I had gotten the 12". The 21" is too long...

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-6494-12-Inch-3-Sided-Grill/dp/B009IH0BYQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387771400&sr=8-1&keywords=weber+grill+cleaning+brush

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 07:55:48 PM »
I saw a tip on the brethren site to just use a big wad of foil.  I've been using it lately and it works good enough for me.  I always seem to have a wad of foil I was about to throw away anyway, so I'm happy to get some more use out of it and I don't have to worry about the wire brush losing one of its bristles and winding up with it in my brisket or something. 

I do have a wire bursh for the hard stuff that is caked on, home depot had a sale on char broil grill tool kit a few months ago.  Got like three different types of wire brushes for 5 bucks.  I've tried the weber brand and another expensive brand also.  I still like the ball o foil the best. 

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 10:22:15 PM »
I use the ball of foil too but I do like brushes.  You know, I never thought of what happens if a brush loses a few strands of stainless.  I just found this wood scraper thing and while it looked cool, it was not cheap and I'm not about to spend kettle type money on a brush.  I going to give the 3 sider a shot.
WTB 18 fruit

esq3585

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 02:09:02 AM »
I use the ball of foil too but I do like brushes.  You know, I never thought of what happens if a brush loses a few strands of stainless.  I just found this wood scraper thing and while it looked cool, it was not cheap and I'm not about to spend kettle type money on a brush.  I going to give the 3 sider a shot.
It can be very serious swallowing a metal bristle, that's why I use a damp cloth while the grill is still hot or a ball of foil, I was noticing way too many bristles coming off my Costco barbecue brush while cleaning http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cdc-warns-of-injuries-from-inadvertently-swallowing-grill-cleaning-brush-bristles/

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 04:13:00 AM »
Hands down the best grill scraper I've ever used: The Tool Wizard. Replaceable stainless pads, stiff handle of just the right length, and does an amazing job with grimy grates.

Two for $25 with a pair of replacement pads at Amazon.

Cookiebaggs

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 06:57:41 AM »
No grill brush here.

I take my grate off after cooking and clean it up in the laundry tub with soap, warm water and a scotch brite pad.  At takes about a minute and then  it's ready to go for the next grill session.

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 08:41:04 AM »
Ok, now I've got some options.  i like that Tool Wizard thing.  Seems like it would work with other brands of scrubbers, too. 

Esq3585, Yikes.  I'm pretty careful while cleaning but definitely wouldn't want that to happen to me or anyone eating on my watch. 

Cookiebaggs, now that I think about it, I take my smoker grates out and wash them in the sink after every use.  They're small so they fit in a large sink.  I supposed I could get a tub and wash grates outside.  Good stuff, guys.  Thanks for the input. 
WTB 18 fruit