Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: In praise of PB Blaster  (Read 1737 times)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
In praise of PB Blaster
« on: November 26, 2013, 08:42:40 AM »
Brian (zavod) and others have touted this stuff forever for freeing rusty fasteners, but I couldn't find it.  Finally did at an out-of-the-way Home Depot, and got a chance to try it on some rusty Performer fasteners.  They were held fast, but after a spray and overnight soak with the magical juice, they came right out with a little nudge from my impact driver. 

Thanks!
One of the charcoal people.

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
Re: In praise of PB Blaster
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 08:53:09 AM »
I use it as well. I usually get it at Walmart. If PB Blaster does not work, my go-to is Gibbs lubricant and penetrating oil. It's expensive but has always worked. I even used it to free up the motor on a 1940 Packard that sat in the woods for at least 30 years. http://www.getgibbs.com/buy-gibbs/

kako5256

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 10:22:27 AM »
PB blaster is the best. Any secrets on getting the smell out? I have used dawn but the scent kind of lingers. I do a high heat burn off and it mostly goes away but I wasn't sure if there was a better way.
If it's a weber, I can't pass on it. That's my sickness! I hope I am never cured.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 10:36:04 AM »
I've used PB-Blaster on rusty fasteners and found that the longer you wait, the better it works. I have given up on stuff after letting it go a couple days only to find the fastener comes loose easily a couple weeks later.

I haven't tried to remove it from a grill, but facing that issue I would probably try WD-40 to remove the PB-Blaster and then Dawn or Simple Green (or our favorite degreaser) to remove the WD-40. I degrease a lot of stuff by using WD-40 to soften the greasy deposits and then using a degreaser to remove it.
kettles, smokers...