Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My First Cold Call : Nobody Home  (Read 3181 times)

BigRix

• WKC Brave
My First Cold Call : Nobody Home
« on: November 12, 2013, 12:58:20 PM »
Never noticed this till I caught the "Itis" but it is literally right around the corner from my house.

Red Head MBH

I'll head back later and see if they are home.

I'm not even sure how to approach them or what to offer.

I'm all ears to suggestions.
Please visit my new blog!

AR180S.com

MartyG

• WKC Performer
Re: My First Cold Call : Nobody Home
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 01:31:57 PM »
I suspect that front leg socket is rusted through. Not a show-stopper if you're looking for a cooker, but my guess is there's more rust where that came from. I spied a similar redhead a few weeks ago from a distance, but when I got up close it was a total basket case and not worth a knock on the door. Not saying this one is, or that any red kettle isn't worth of rescue, but you gotta go in with your eyes open.

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 02:36:19 PM »
Keep "calling" if you want it badly enough you can make it happen. I would snag that up in a second.
Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 05:29:54 PM »
Just throw it in the truck. 8)

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 06:58:01 PM »
Bring a black OTG with you and see if they want to trade up. Make sure you point out that the OTG has an ash catcher for maximum safety for playing children. Or that kettle could collapse and spill hot coals and cause a fire.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 07:02:49 PM by MINIgrillin »
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

BigRix

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 04:50:36 PM »
Stopped by because I saw another car in the driveway.

Owner was home but shot me down because she says she likes cooking on it.

I'll keep after them and might just stop by with a grill to trade and see how that goes.

AR180S.com

Mmmmm

• WKC Brave
Re: Re: My First Cold Call : Nobody Home
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 05:06:58 PM »
I suspect that front leg socket is rusted through. Not a show-stopper if you're looking for a cooker, but my guess is there's more rust where that came from. I spied a similar redhead a few weeks ago from a distance, but when I got up close it was a total basket case and not worth a knock on the door. Not saying this one is, or that any red kettle isn't worth of rescue, but you gotta go in with your eyes open.

There's no kettle that's completely worthless. There is always an ash catcher or triangle or cooking grate that's good, or if nothing else use the lid or turn the bowl into a lid for a UDS.
"What this world needs is more humble geniuses. There are so few of us left."

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Re: Re: My First Cold Call : Nobody Home
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 05:48:06 PM »

There's no kettle that's completely worthless. There is always an ash catcher or triangle or cooking grate that's good, or if nothing else use the lid or turn the bowl into a lid for a UDS.

Totally agreed,  if the lid is decent maybe someday you can match it with a good bowl...I would never turn down a red head.  Sounds like some of you have given up on the rescue/restore part of our mantra....

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

BigRix

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 03:06:32 PM »
I haven't stopped in yet because I'm short on cash, but literally down the street from this RedHead is another one.

I think this one is in better shape.

Kinda weird, it has a twist on ash pan and spring clips as well.

Wood handles and a one touch I believe.

What do you guys think of this one?

AR180S.com

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 04:06:50 PM »
My brothers OTS, vent code "D", has the clips and the same twist pan with the folded edge. 
WTB 18 fruit

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 05:14:48 PM »
My brothers OTS, vent code "D", has the clips and the same twist pan with the folded edge.

Let's see the vent pic please

GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 05:42:01 PM »

Kinda weird, it has a twist on ash pan and spring clips as well.

Wood handles and a one touch I believe.

What do you guys think of this one?

Looks like my "F"  (just got them home from an estate sale)

I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 05:46:41 PM »
I restored a gray/black for a friend that was about a 'G' (if I remember correctly) with the same combination of ash pan and clips.  Apparently the kettles wore belts and suspenders for a few years. 
One of the charcoal people.

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 08:03:13 PM »
Confident my browny and others have the clips and the twist on pan. Not sure why.

Sent from my Atari 2600 using Tapatalk.

SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 08:16:11 PM »
Confident my browny and others have the clips and the twist on pan. Not sure why.

Yeah for some reason, when the twisty ash pans were retooled to rolled lip twisty in '79, Weber started issuing the clips with them, not sure why, it seemed redundant. Oh and +1 on any redhead is worth a rescue. There's always something that can be done with it... cooker, looker, rat rod, GGG seating.....endless possibilities...

oh and lets see a pic of the "D" code vent....  :)