Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: baskets or not?  (Read 5210 times)

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
Re: baskets or not?
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 04:28:56 AM »
I use baskets 90% of the time

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

heart of coal

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 07:46:44 AM »
never!  used them before..didnt like them.

if i am cooking with indirect, i usually have a disposable pan in the middle to catch grease or hold water.  i just dump coals in the sides and lay a hunk of wood on top.

if i need concentrate heat for a fast sear, i pile the coals up on one side..really run them up the sides.  no issues.

i rarely own anything that isnt a multi-tasker.

gunner

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2013, 09:02:42 AM »
This is a good topic. I never use my baskets. I always just bank my lump or coals off to the side and use fire bricks. I am curious if using baskets helps preserve the kettle bowl at all? When I sear I bank my coals off to the side the same way but get the temps well past 500 degrees...I wonder if long term this could harm that side of the kettle in some way?

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2013, 09:51:26 AM »
This is a good topic. I never use my baskets. I always just bank my lump or coals off to the side and use fire bricks. I am curious if using baskets helps preserve the kettle bowl at all? When I sear I bank my coals off to the side the same way but get the temps well past 500 degrees...I wonder if long term this could harm that side of the kettle in some way?

I believe it does. Being on BBQ forums for years now, many of the performers scored second hand have "crazing" on the bowl that usually isnt present on other kettles. They also seems to be more cracks and chips at the grate strap welds. My theory is that there are multiple reasons this happens:

1- The burner and baskets really concentrated the heat on one side. Remember that while your kettle ambient temp is 500. The charcoal itself is much hotter.

2- Performers are more likely to come in colors. Colors have a thicker porcelain coating (color goes on top of the black) that is susceptible to cracking under extreme temperature changes.

3- Since the performer is much larger and the table/ lid bale restrict access to one side, they are probably getting set up and used more frequently in one orientation which makes #1 and #2 worse.

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

smokeyjoeuk-ray

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2013, 03:16:54 AM »
very interesting indeed, i am going to start keeping a log for my cooks, so i will include if/how and what baskets i use just to see how much i do use them, so far i have only banked to one side, i'm happy with that, but now obviously want to do more and i reckon a couple or three baskets will certainly give me a lot more versatility.

I need a red head in my life, and a roti ring.

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2013, 04:44:14 PM »
baskets 100% of the time
either 1 or both to eliminate crazing
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2013, 11:12:33 PM »
baskets 100% of the time
either 1 or both to eliminate crazing

I do what Golly said.... A basket a day keeps the crazing away!  ;)