Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tuning up stock Weber thermometers.  (Read 1371 times)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Tuning up stock Weber thermometers.
« on: November 02, 2013, 06:31:45 AM »
If you're like me, you have Weber thermometers hiding in various places in your world.  Most of mine are the old-school ones that pass through the handle on a OT+/MT/SS or Genesis lid, and they aren't exactly precise, but generally pretty handy for approximations of temperature.  Has anyone had any success in tuning them up?  I do boil tests to see if they are calibrated properly to 212 degrees, and maybe 1 out of 4 pass that test.  My current practice is to note in sharpie on the back how many degrees they are off ("add 60 degrees", etc.), and I'm wondering if this is even workable, or is a thermo that is 50 or 60 degrees off even worth using?  Can you twist the dial to recalibrate them or something? 
One of the charcoal people.

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Tuning up stock Weber thermometers.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 10:13:08 AM »
i've found that the new ones are actually pretty awesome
the old ones, yeah they suck

as far as calibrating and determining how far off they are - you actually need TWO data points to accurately gauge it (because the inaccuracy isn't simply a + or - off, it's a more of a ratio of needle movement to temp movement thing)

i recommend using a maverick and the therm side by side in the cooker. maintain 225 for a while - mark the therm where the new 225 is
crank it up to 350, mark the therm where 350 is
go rocket hot to 475, mark the therm

this will add 3 points of accuracy to your therm and  make it relatively easy to gauge the in between (as well as 'just past') points

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 12:48:21 PM »
Troy, you are a genius.  I can even set up a production line to calibrate the 3 therms I need to tune up. 

And I owe you a beer for giving me another excuse to crank the grill up. 
One of the charcoal people.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 07:38:08 PM »
Glad I could help :)

I'm amused that the old performer thermometers were marketed as 'dual purpose' - test the done-ness of your steak with the same probe that is always resting at the top of the dome.