Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How I Came to Buy My First Weber  (Read 1497 times)

BigRix

• WKC Brave
How I Came to Buy My First Weber
« on: October 25, 2013, 07:09:30 AM »
Funny how things can change so drastically in a few short weeks.

I started researching how to build a UDS smoker and was seeing a lot of them with Weber lids.

That seemed like the way to go.

I then ran across this video where the guy modified a grill to use as parts for his smoker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXI_aWkXN_A

Bought my first Weber off craigslist, a 22.5" black OTS that came with a bunch a of accessories and an extra new in box lid.

Decided to use it while I gathered more parts and then I found you guys.

Now I have a 22.5" a 18.5" and a Smokey Joe.

And I just watched that video again and cringed when I saw what he had done to the Red Head three wheeler. :(

You guys have ruined me.

Still plan to make my UDS but I'm not cutting up any grills to do it.

And it will have to wait till I get my mini WSM done.

Please visit my new blog!

AR180S.com

TwinDr.

• Smokey Joe
Re: How I Came to Buy My First Weber
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 07:25:24 AM »
Welcome man.   8)  UDS's are the s#!t, for sure.  They are like open canvases.  You can make one for next to nothing.  I have one and wouldn't think of chopping anything up.  The kettles are amazing also.  Two different cookers that you'll enjoy in different ways.  Put up some pics when you can.  Happy cooking.   8)
"Yes honey, I don't know what I was thinking."

TwinDr.

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 07:29:44 AM »
BTW, the guy in the video needs help.  Sorry random stranger, but you've done wrong.   :-\
"Yes honey, I don't know what I was thinking."

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 08:14:20 AM »
Hey Big Rix...now you see what its all about.  You're one of "us" now.  Welcome to the club
Kettle collector AND cooker!

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 08:57:26 AM »
Welcome BigRix. Two weeks, 3 Webers and the UDS is still on the project blocks.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 09:19:48 AM »
Thanks and welcome Big Rix, after looking at the video I can see it isn't a Weber. It may have been made by the for Sears though. It is a rare grill too, but not an average redhead.  :)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 10:31:10 AM »
Welcome, BigRix!

Your story reminds me of my own story... I had a plain black kettle, and was using it to smoke butts, so started looking for a Weber smoker.  Once I found a used one, I got all interested in various modifications and tweaks, and got it set up just the way I liked it.  But once I pointed my drill back at my kettle, I was scared of myself-- what was I about to do?  There was just something sacred about the kettle... I'd carve my WSM into a trombone if I thought it would cook better, but I'd never think of touching my kettle with a drill bit or blade. 

Anyway, I think that experience was the beginning of my 'return' to the kettles.  I've stopped trying to get my smoker to do what a kettle does better, and I've picked up a few more kettles, too. 

Sounds like you'll enjoy yourself around these parts, Rix!  Glad to have you. 
One of the charcoal people.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 04:12:27 AM »
Welcome to the fold and thanks for your consideration for what that guy did to make his UDS.

However... no Webers were harmed during his build. When he was showing off the bowl I noticed a ridge for the charcoal grate. Then I saw that the charcoal grate was not right. And I realized that there were no tabs to support the cooking grate. Confirmation came when he set the lidon top and I looked at the handle. It was not the typical welded strap with wood or plastic but something bolted through standoffs. These are all hallmarks of a Weber knock off called the Happy Cooker (I think.) Not many members here will shed a tear for that one. Brian (zavod44 might be sad... )

As far as your UDS, do it! You also need to make a mini-WSM using your SJ. It's an awesome little smoker and requires no mods to the SJ.
kettles, smokers...

BigRix

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 05:06:21 AM »
Well I feel better now knowing that it was just a Happy Cooker.

Mini WSM already made it's maiden voyage last night.

Dry run held 300 for 4 hours before I shut it down.

Pulled pork on Sunday. I hope.

Please visit my new blog!

AR180S.com