Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grilled Swordfish with persimmon wood  (Read 2083 times)

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Grilled Swordfish with persimmon wood
« on: October 23, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »
I posted sometime ago that a friend of mine cut down a persimmon tree and gave me all the cuttings. (Wasn't a big tree). Have never smoked or cooked with it, but did find some info on the web that you could use it. Cut/split it up and figured it should be dry enough to use.

Nice box full of persimmon - the chunks that have a dark vein are mulberry (will post about that some other time :))

Nice size chunk for the swordfish fillets.

The dog loves to terrorize the squirrels during the fall when they are busy gathering.

Shot of the weber spread

Fired up the 2009 performer - my first kettle and the one I learned to cook on

Threw the chunk on the coals, and the smell was really nice. Very fruity but definitely has a little bite to it. Nothing like anything I have smoked with in the past.

Marinated some swordfish fillets in garlic/lemon and threw over the coals.

Swordfish done

They were very tasty. The persimmon is mild like other fruit woods, but imparts a little more flavor. Can't wait to try on some pork - it should go well with ribs. I just wanted to test it out on some quick cooks before longer smoking sessions.

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
Re: Grilled Swordfish with persimmon wood
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 06:39:30 PM »
That looks and sounds delicious! The whole family here is a big fan of swordfish, send us a plate!
WTB: Genesis Jr.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 08:58:22 PM »
Great looking sword Miller! What did you think about the persimmon wood? I am wondering because I have access to some.

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Grilled Swordfish with persimmon wood
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 05:53:27 PM »

Great looking sword Miller! What did you think about the persimmon wood? I am wondering because I have access to some.

I do like it. I need to experiment with it some more. The aroma it gives off isn't pungent. The closest thing I can say it is between say apple and pecan in its strength, but it has a totally different aroma than either(or anything I have cooked with).

smokeyjoeuk-ray

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 10:37:05 PM »
never had swordfish, could you possibly deliver. ;D

it looks good.

I need a red head in my life, and a roti ring.