Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Got a buddy going today  (Read 1045 times)

Mmmmm

• WKC Brave
Got a buddy going today
« on: October 19, 2013, 03:37:30 PM »
I've got a buddy I've been working on for a while. According to him he's been a very basic gas grill guy (burgers, chicken breasts, etc.). I've been trying to get him interested in a Weber kettle and low and slow BBQ. I have an upside down "B" code black MBH that is decent but a little rough and I offered it to him for $20 to get started.

Today he asked me to meet him at Home Depot to help him get the necessary items. I recommended a Weber chimney, some blue bag briquettes to learn on, hickory chunks, paraffin lighter cubes, some drip pans, all of which he bought, as well as a dome thermometer or oven thermometer and an instant read meat thermometer, which he said he would purchase later as the selection was poor.

I also told him the easiest thing to learn to BBQ is a Boston butt, so apparently he's also on the lookout for nice butts. I plan to teaching him the snake method right off. It's so easy and he will be so pleased with his first pulled pork that he'll be hooked for sure.

Wish him (and me as I teach him) luck.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 07:04:35 AM by Mmmmm »
"What this world needs is more humble geniuses. There are so few of us left."

dazzo

• WKC Performer
Re: Got a buddy going today
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 04:04:26 PM »
Nice. Good job and good luck. You guys will do great!

he's also on the lookout for nice butts.

Isn't everyone     ;)

Dude, relax your chicken.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 04:06:14 PM »
Mmmm, this is a noble task which you undertake.  Your buddy has no idea how fortunate he is to have someone guide him through like this. 

I generally task my apprentices with a simple roast chicken as the first important task, fwiw.  But butt isn't really that much harder, and it's far more rewarding.  Best wishes!
One of the charcoal people.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: Re: Got a buddy going today
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 04:09:24 PM »

he's also on the lookout for nice butts.

Isn't everyone     ;)
[/quote]

An absolute truth! >:D
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 04:11:36 PM »
Once you get a taste of a good butt, there ain't no going back.  I stray off into breasts, thighs, and loins on a regular basis, but I'm right at home with a tasty butt.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

blackdog043

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 06:25:37 PM »
Good luck but you will do fine. It's nice that you're going to show him, that way he won't get frustrated and want to give up using charcoal.
Bill    Looking for a Yellow