Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grate Thermometer Question  (Read 3740 times)

GC8

• WKC Brave
Grate Thermometer Question
« on: October 16, 2013, 06:54:44 PM »
Well, I've asked enough stupid questions on here...why not add one more  8)

I have a Maverick ET-73 for use in my WSM and a Happy Cooker that I added a couple of grommets to feed the probes through.  I am now the proud owner of a 22.5" Brownie & a SS Performer that I DO NOT want to drill through.  With that being said, how do you all keep tabs on your cooking temp?  The SS has a lid thermo, but I can't imagine it's too accurate being that it's not at cooking level.

Here's my stupid question.  I know there are the cooking grate thermometers, but I'd hate to have to lift the lid to check my smoking temp all the time.  Is that how you all use them?  It goes down to the old adage, "if you're looking, you're not cooking"...well, what do you do if you have to look to check the cooking temperature?!
'79 22.5" Brownie - '00 Black SS Performer - '03 Green OTP - SJS Mini-WSM - Jumbo Joe - 22.5" Happy Cooker - '07 SJS

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
Re: Grate Thermometer Question
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 08:04:02 PM »
I run it under the lid or through a vent if I'm going low & slow on the kettle.
Uncommon sense seeker

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Grate Thermometer Question
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 08:33:17 PM »
Yeah I do the same and run it through the lip of the lid. That minor amount of air won't effect anything since the lid isn't 100% air tight.
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 11:56:46 AM »
Lip of the lid for me too
It hasn't damaged the probe wire yet
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 12:07:21 PM »
You can run the thermometer at the top vent and use a Cork or something to hold it up. You could probably also calibrate your lid temp to grate temp using a second thermometer since they are probably well correlated.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 12:20:27 PM »

Or.......just use the inexpensive grate therm & trust the process enough to not check a whole bunch........ 8)

It's always right there if you need to do a quick check in, but most all the time, I'll only look in maybe two or three times over 11 hours.....by the time it's getting close to done, I don't pay a heckuva lot of attention to the grate one, more  to look, feel & maybe a ThermaPen.......

Usually doesn't get too goofy.....

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 12:39:07 PM »
Well, I've asked enough stupid questions on here...why not add one more  8)

Always been told the only stupid question is the question not asked! I say with this great group of guys and all their different methods and collective knowledge ask away and you will find your answer.
Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 06:09:15 PM »
You could probably also calibrate your lid temp to grate temp using a second thermometer since they are probably well correlated.

... trust the process enough to not check a whole bunch........ 8)

I fall into these camps. I have become less concerned about temperature than I was at first. A fairly wide range of temperatures will get you good results. The temperature difference will determine how fast you get there. I have learned to allow extra time and when needed, prepare for an extra long rest for the meat prior to serving.

As far as measuring the temperature, the lid thermometer will not read the same as the grate but the reading is IMO no less useful. Given time and a few cooks, you will learn the relationship between lid thermometer and results similarly to what you would do with a true grate temperature reading. When I'm cooking on a kettle that does not have a lid therm, I will sometimes drop a probe from the ET-732 through the lid vent being careful that it does not touch the food and use that reading.
kettles, smokers...

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 09:10:36 PM »
I use the lid thermometer right now and then my digital thermometer for my meat.  I have a new digital thermometer that can do the meat and also grill temp off my cooking great so I'm very interested how the two temps will compare.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

GC8

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 07:41:02 PM »
Lots of great feedback here, thanks guys!

I guess I worded my questions pretty badly, but I was initially wondering about the thermometers that you actually set on the grate...not the digital ones.  I see lots of people using them but it seems odd to me since you have to open the lid to see it, but everyone preaches, "if you're lookin' you're not cookin'"

I have some threaded posts in my Happy Cooker and mini-WSM but would like to use my SS Performer and other kettles for more detailed cooks.
'79 22.5" Brownie - '00 Black SS Performer - '03 Green OTP - SJS Mini-WSM - Jumbo Joe - 22.5" Happy Cooker - '07 SJS

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 08:12:13 PM »
Always been told the only stupid question is the question not asked!

I've been told the same. I've said same. As I advance in life, though, I'm starting to lean towards..."There are no stupid questions, but stupid people ask a lot of questions."
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank