Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: IM DONE....Seville cart. plum pic added  (Read 11137 times)

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
IM DONE....Seville cart. plum pic added
« on: October 14, 2013, 08:08:59 PM »
the original owner was gracious enough to take a few pics before being picked up and shipped down south.

for at least a little while.   ;D  until I finish this project.   :D  Or until something else comes along.   ;)  if I find a good deal.   :)

I was scanning ebay a few weeks ago and I found a little something special.  This was about the time I was reading about how vultures are lurking and swooping in so I decided to keep this deal on the downlow until I had the prize in MY beak.  I checked the item location on Ebay and found the sellers item on CL in Connecticut and called the number attached the next day.  I had a nice conversation with the guy for about 15 minutes and I let him know my intentions and about  how I thought my plan was going to work.  I was sweating bullets because I didn't want this unicorn to get away.  The gentleman on the other line was calm as could be and said only two others have called during the 2 months they were trying to sell the cart and both asked for "lost parts, rust, and if we had the kettle."  "We have always used it as a cart to put plants on and set in garden.  Been like that for ten years.  Now we just need to make some room.." 

So the seller still has the wanted item...he's 2000 miles away... what to do?...hire a shipper!  So I find a local UPS office close to sellers location using googlemaps and ask if they can help. "We really don't do that but here's a recommendation."  The UPS office provides me with a moving company number that's close to seller residence and is willing to pick up the cart from his house and crate it for freight shipping. Got all that ironed out with pick up so I call the seller and inform him of plan and send payment. Done... Ask seller when he's available so he can be there for pick up.  Call shipper to arrange time.  Call seller to align schedules... Done. wait for pick up. and wait.and wait...

Took awhile to get the thing rolling down the road ,and a CRAP LOAD of calls to FedEx customer service, but its here now. 

So the day I had arranged for FedEx to pick up the now overly crated cart in Connecticut, I had stayed home to go to a doctor apt.  As Im stepping out my front door I see a truck coming up the driveway.  Its a big rig.  Its got FedEx written on the side of trailer.  I just stand there thinking to myself "this shit can't be happening right now, can it?"  The driver jumps out and says "Hi, are you Steve? Im here to pick up a crate." My response, "Un-friggin-believable, Buddy!!  This is the billing address and the pick up point is in Connecticut!!"  Customer service completely nerfed this.  I had to call them because the dimensions on the crate were too large to book a freight pick up online but had actually scheduled one, so when I called the Bozo at customer service he messed up the billing/pick up/delivery addresses.  OMFG REALLY!!

I believe this one was originally black, or primed black, then brush painted white   

Condition is amazing considering the age and that its been outside for 10 years.  They used it as a gardening table. 

more pics and stuff to come.  Ambien is kicken hard!

« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 08:21:07 PM by MINIgrillin »
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
Re: IM DONE....
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 08:22:23 PM »
ramblings of a madman.  Ambien is kickin

I believe this one was black.  and brushed white. 

http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Elastokinematic/library/seville?sort=6&page=1
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 08:25:41 PM by MINIgrillin »

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 08:25:20 PM »
very nice!!!

Mind sharing the auction link? (i'm just curious how I didn't find it, not so much about the price)

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 08:28:02 PM »
had listed as a garden cart.  vintage wrought iron garden cart

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 08:33:19 PM »
Go to bed and lets talk aout this in the morning!

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 04:02:59 AM »
Nice job.  Im glad someone here got it.  I had it in my watchlist for the longest time.  Watched it go from 110 - 104.  I was the one that spoke to the gentlemen asking if he had the kettle for it.  Then he said no and that they only used it as a garden cart.  Didn't want to pay what it would cost to bring it to Chicago though, plus I know I'd never find a correct bowl for it. 
Glad to see it stay within our site.  Look forward to seeing what you do with it and how you clean it up!
Kettle collector AND cooker!

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 04:13:40 AM »
Sorry about that. I should know better than to post when I'm loopy. Rational thought isn't Ambiens best side effect.

Troy...don't have link saved. I called the guy direct after finding CL post in Connecticut. I'm not sure how you missed it but most likely it was because seller listed it as something that it wasn't. This whole deal has been a Few weeks in the making.  Believe me...I'm dumbfounded surprised about this. I usually find crap stuff that you guys tell me has been listed before, or $15000 surf boards, or 3 bags of charcoal. I mean seriously!! How do you guys find a mint condition red 26 for $40 bucks!!? Or a NIB 14.5 WSM? Geez!

I will say that this thing is gorgeous and quality made! As old as it is it has held up very well indeed.

I plan to get this thing blasted and refinished white. Then have some custom brackets made to raise up a plum gas assist kettle because the ash can would be less than an inch from bottom shelf. Tuck and disguise the gas bottle and lines. Retro rod!!

More to come. And I'll fix first post. Ambien..lol!!

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 04:20:02 AM »
Hey Mini tell me about the whole shipping thing, I need to get a monster to California and I am searching for a good way.  If you can become coherent enough to explain in clear English it would be much appreciated.... ;)
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 04:21:11 AM »
Ty Jeff. I went balls deep on this one. If it was anything else I wouldn't have done it. I threw caution to the wind because I just inherited my grandfathers 1967 442 convertible. Something compelled me to do it. Devine or demonic intervention.. Haven't figured that out yet.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 04:42:00 AM »
Ambien has long worn off. Lol!

What I did was:
1) google mapped seller address
2) googled local ups offices in that immediate area. (they told
Me that they don't do residential pick up and crating but I asked for a local recommendation. They had one)
3) contacted local moving company and asked if: 1 they could do a residential pick up and 2 if they could crate/package item for freight shipping.
...note... Make sure to find out if pickup and delivery locations have a loading dock or forklifts because "lift gate services" are extra charge.
4) arranged schedule with seller for pick up.
5) item was picked up from seller and moving company crated, weighed, took dimension measurements(all needed to determine freight cost)
6) contacted FedEx to arrange pick up at moving company.
7) touched base with scheduling to movers
8) waited for delivery.

Now there is a convoluted dimensions equation to determine if FedEx can ship "less than a truck load" or "freight". Mine was 50x30x38 which put it into freight range. If you call FedEx customer service you can get 60% shipping discount. (standard discount on website)

FYI..the moving company pick up and crating was the expensive part of this. If your not in a time crunch call around to more shippers.

Hope that helps

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 01:31:19 PM »
That's fucking EPIC!

Are there any Sevilles here in Oz?
If it breathes, we can cook it!

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 01:42:12 PM »
Really cool score Mini!!
Nice work hunting it down and working out the logistics too
Can't wait too see the resto pics
That's fucking EPIC!

Are there any Sevilles here in Oz?
I don't think so , I think the Sevilles came out before weber were in OZ
There is a flamenco on Gumtree though :D
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 02:39:11 PM »
That's awesome, Minigrillin! Do you mind fixing your image links for the group? Most of them link to the html page and not the jpg. Thanks!

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 02:45:51 PM »
I'll definitely fix pix later this evening. There is a photobucket album also.

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
IM DONE....
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 04:37:41 PM »
Mini, great pickup.  Did you need the Ambien after another look at the shipping cost? ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free