Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: "Custom Fit" the Front Access Door on a WSM  (Read 11179 times)

Troy

• Statesman
Re: "Custom Fit" the Front Access Door on a WSM
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 11:51:43 AM »
i would upgrade.

does the old door work, certainly.
do you need to upgrade, certainly not.

for me the factors are:
- consistency
- functionality
- appearance

The cajun bandit door fits. it doesn't flex. it's fit won't change unless you REALLY try to change it. It's consistent, and in bbq (especially competitive) - consistency is good.
The OEM door is easy to mis-shape. Bump it. Twist it. Drop it. Now it needs a fixing :)

The cajun bandit produces a better seal and will maintain it. Winds can pick up over night while you're sleeping, the CB door will maintain a nice seal.
The OEM door will too, as long as you fitted it perfectly before walking away. The CB door also seems to open and close easier and with less fidgeting.
I wish CB would make an improved latch though...

and for appearance, I strongly prefer the stainless steel look over the textured aluminum.

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 12:00:41 PM »
Thanks for all the ideas, suggestions and input.

I didn't mean to start an argument.  I just wanted to see what the more experienced chefs thought, and what they did, with their smokers.

I already bought the eyelets so that I can use my Maverick without running the wires under the lid.  I'll wait until I actually start using the smoker before I make any further modifications to it.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 12:02:28 PM by Eapples »

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 12:31:25 PM »
I didn't mean to start an argument. 
Debate, yes.  Argument, no.  That's the great thing about his forum.  We'll tend to not agree at times, and that's where it ends.  :D
I already bought the eyelets so that I can use my Maverick
And this would be another debate item.  lol  You shouldn't need the eyelets because the '14 WSM's have a silicone grommet built-in for probe use.  But the grommet (eyelet)  mod is becoming less and less popular to the 'notch' mod.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 12:34:48 PM »
i would upgrade.

does the old door work, certainly.
do you need to upgrade, certainly not.

for me the factors are:
- consistency
- functionality
- appearance

The cajun bandit door fits. it doesn't flex. it's fit won't change unless you REALLY try to change it. It's consistent, and in bbq (especially competitive) - consistency is good.
The OEM door is easy to mis-shape. Bump it. Twist it. Drop it. Now it needs a fixing :)

The cajun bandit produces a better seal and will maintain it. Winds can pick up over night while you're sleeping, the CB door will maintain a nice seal.
The OEM door will too, as long as you fitted it perfectly before walking away. The CB door also seems to open and close easier and with less fidgeting.
I wish CB would make an improved latch though...

and for appearance, I strongly prefer the stainless steel look over the textured aluminum.

Well put.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2013, 12:48:35 PM »
I didn't mean to start an argument. 
Debate, yes.  Argument, no.  That's the great thing about his forum.  We'll tend to not agree at times, and that's where it ends.  :D
I already bought the eyelets so that I can use my Maverick
And this would be another debate item.  lol  You shouldn't need the eyelets because the '14 WSM's have a silicone grommet built-in for probe use.  But the grommet (eyelet)  mod is becoming less and less popular to the 'notch' mod.

Yep, no arguments here! Our experiences, needs, and tolerances all differ but we always help each other out.

On that note, I had the grommet on my 22 as well. It works OK, but it's not as convenient as the notch. It's harder to reposition the probes when you are working with both grates and the hole makes it harder to insert and remove the probes. If I were to do it again, I would definitely notch instead of grommet.

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2013, 12:58:25 PM »

On that note, I had the grommet on my 22 as well. It works OK, but it's not as convenient as the notch. It's harder to reposition the probes when you are working with both grates and the hole makes it harder to insert and remove the probes. If I were to do it again, I would definitely notch instead of grommet.

Can I have a looksy at what you did? ???

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2013, 02:22:51 PM »
Maybe this should be another thread...what's a "notch"?  I've seen it discussed, and I guess it's just cutting a notch along the edge of the bowl for placement of the probe wires...is that right?  If so, then what is the technique for doing so?  And does it void the warranty?

sparky

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2013, 02:24:29 PM »
I got the 14 fired up , its door leaks at a few spots , does CB got one for it yet :)

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2013, 02:32:36 PM »
Sparky, pics!

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2013, 02:34:28 PM »
+1 on the WSM door being a flimsy POS.  Surprised to see it on a Weber product.  PBE's pic says it all.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2013, 03:09:00 PM »
+1 on the WSM door being a flimsy POS.  Surprised to see it on a Weber product.  PBE's pic says it all.

One has to wonder why they don't just make some doors out of the same material the cooker is made from instead of that cheap aluminum.

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2013, 03:12:58 PM »
Maybe this should be another thread...what's a "notch"?  I've seen it discussed, and I guess it's just cutting a notch along the edge of the bowl for placement of the probe wires...is that right?  If so, then what is the technique for doing so?  And does it void the warranty?
I have a Dremel tool, but opted to use the regular ol' hand held 4" angle grinder. With the Dremel, you'll have to make 2 slices as the cutting wheel is pretty thin. With the hand grinder, the grinding wheel is 3/16" - 1/4" wide and done in one swipe. I didn't use blue tape or even measure anything out. Just hit-it-and-get-it.  After your first cook, you'll get a nice coating of gunk on the bare metal which will preserve said notch for eon's to come.  And yes, it does void the warranty, but so does adding the grommet sleeves...

I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2013, 03:15:47 PM »

One has to wonder why they don't just make some doors out of the same material the cooker is made from instead of that cheap aluminum.

My 1880 has a very high quality steel door that combines the best of both worlds. Heavy gauge steel and the strength of the stamped H channel. If you look closely at the pics in the other thread you'll notice that it doesn't have the texture of the aluminum. I don't know if the 18.5" wsm's of the same vintage has it though.

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2013, 07:57:29 PM »
I might cut a channel in mine. I have always been against the grommits and usually just drilled a hole in the back and put a screw in it when it wasn't in use. But the channel will save having to thread the probe through the hole.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2013, 11:36:05 AM »
Pb what year is the 1880?
My E code 18 WSM has the light gauge aluminum door
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution