Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First big Craigslist score!  (Read 3561 times)

GC8

• WKC Brave
First big Craigslist score!
« on: September 30, 2013, 06:46:20 PM »
Before I get to the score, I have to say something.  I've been a part of many forums spanning many subjects, but the welcoming I had here was unlike any other.  After posting a 'Welcome' thread, I had glrasmussen reach out to me via PM since he was local and he clued me in on the local scene.  He also answered many stupid questions I had and has volunteered to keep an eye out for any kettles he thought I might enjoy.  Next, I PM'd saxart about the SS Performer he was selling.  Unfortunately, I was a little late but instead of just telling me "too bad" he told me he'd also keep his eyes peeled for another Performer for me.  Little did I know that in the next few days he would send me a Craigslist ad for a Black SS Performer for only $75!  Many others would have scooped it up for themselves to make a profit on.  Needless to say, I was lucky enough to get ahold of the before mentioned performer and here are some pics:

Kind of hard to see in this pic, but it's a DD

Came with some free Kingsford.  Only downfall is that the igniter doesn't work.  I might fix it down the road, but I'm okay lighting the coals the old fashioned way.  That's part of the experience for me anyway.

A pleasant surprise for me when I got there.  It also came with a cover that you can probably see in the background of some of these pics:

Is this white stuff a protective thing from the factory that just never got peeled off?

Now, I need to do some research on the forums to find the best way to clean it all up.  Can't wait to get cookin' on it!
'79 22.5" Brownie - '00 Black SS Performer - '03 Green OTP - SJS Mini-WSM - Jumbo Joe - 22.5" Happy Cooker - '07 SJS

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
Re: First big Craigslist score!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 06:51:09 PM »
EXCELLENT!  This is Awesome!  You will love that performer. I have one like that and it is great. Yes, that white stuff is the packaging from the factory.   You will be on to the next find soon, I can tell.  Also, I don't usually use my gas ignition, I typically just use the chimney with a the starter cubes. YMMV

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 06:53:37 PM »
Nice score and yes that looks like the protective cover.  This place has some great people, great job Saxart!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 06:56:04 PM »
Great score! Can't wait to see it cleaned up!
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 07:01:17 PM »
Ha, my '98 (EZ) also had the white film on the back side.  Much harder getting off now than 15 years ago.  :)
I have 2 SS Performers and both are still using the stock igniter, but they didn't work when I got them.
Literally, cleaned up the contacts with sandpaper and they spark every time.  I can't imagine ~not~ using the gas assist.
Just last night, I used the gas assist to light 7 or 8 briquetts for my overnight mini-wsm smoke. 

Congrats on the score!
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 07:05:56 PM »
GC8-
Congrats on the purchase!   ;)

When you get some time, pull apart that gas-assist burner.  Chances are it just needs to be cleaned up.   The burner in mine had cobwebs, and the electrode on electric sparker needed to be hit with a wire-brush before it would throw a spark.   I'm betting if you make sure the tank is full and the burner is clean, you'll be good to go.
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

blackdog043

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 07:08:42 PM »
Nice score!!! I bet a little soap and water will take a lot of the dirt off, then go from there. I would hit the protective film with a hair dryer and see if it comes off any easier than just pulling it.
Bill    Looking for a Yellow

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 07:12:41 PM »
one thing to think about for getting the white film off is this-remove that section, turn it upside down and soak it w/some goo-gone for a bit. then start peeling, adding more goo-gone as needed. should help it come off clean and will also make it easier to scrape off the residual gunk.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

GC8

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 07:15:30 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll think of the best way to tackle that white film.  I didn't try to pull any of it off but I'm assuming you're right about it not coming off too easily.

Also, in regards to the ignition, you're probably right that it just needs a good cleaning.

I'll tackle that after I have fun tearing apart my washing machine.  Oh, and putting in new struts and springs in my car.  Oh, and putting the new radio in the gf's car.

::)
'79 22.5" Brownie - '00 Black SS Performer - '03 Green OTP - SJS Mini-WSM - Jumbo Joe - 22.5" Happy Cooker - '07 SJS

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 07:31:50 PM »
Congrats GC8! Remember to remove the covering the first owner didn't. If you need help, I'm around the corner.

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 07:37:05 PM »
Excellent score!  The journey to it is what makes this place so great. Well done wkc'ers well done!!:)

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 07:40:36 PM »
Great story.  Nice teamwork
Kettle collector AND cooker!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 08:07:45 PM »
Greg is a standup guy! DD's are the best. Enjoy the new kettle :)
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 08:20:52 PM »
One other thing --- make sure the in-line gas valve isn't in the off position.  It's located just to the left of the regulator and should be in-line with the gas line, not making a "T"
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

JayCee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 10:16:16 PM »
Great score at that price. Also good form to glrasmussen. It's good to see this sort of comradery towards other entheusiasts.