Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Re: The NIB 1992 SS Performer: Propane update!  (Read 3382 times)

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
Re: The NIB 1992 SS Performer: Propane update!
« on: September 28, 2013, 02:28:04 PM »
Well I figured out how to fill my old style tank. I will share this information, but here's the disclaimer: PLEASE DO THIS AT YOUR OWN EXTREME CAUTION, Don't be reckless and do this inside or near an open flame or be using some busted up piece of shit tank. The risk is really no greater than changing your own propane tank, but I just had to put that out there. This will work on the old and the new style 5lb tanks for the SS and it will only cost about $30 for the parts. Once you have the items you need, you can be the envy of all your friends by filling up your own tank from now on.

Here's how to do it:
1) Go to ebay and visit Mr. Propane and get one of these adapters for $11. http://www.ebay.com/itm/261057532314?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649. They are awesome and if you go camping and want to refill the 1lb propane containers from a 20lb tank, this will do the trick. Also, on this link is a demo on how to use it. To refill a 5lb tank, you pretty much do the same thing he demonstrates.

2) You will also need a Coleman High pressure hose and adapter. You can get one on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-High-Pressure-Propane-Hose-Adapter/dp/B0009PUQAK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380402838&sr=8-1&keywords=coleman+20lb. If you have the stove for camping you may already have one. I did.

3) Make sure your 5lb tank is empty. Open the valve all the way and make sure nothing is coming out. Place the 5lb tank inside the refrigerator or freezer for 24 hours. (In colder climates, to do this in the winter, you would just make sure the tank is empty and keep it inside for 24 hours to get it to room temperature and then you would hook it up to the cold tank outside).

4) Attach the adapter to the end of the Coleman hose, and screw it into your 20lb tank. Make sure the connections are tight to prevent leaks. Remember the adapter goes in reverse threaded, so tighten to the left.

5) Place the 20lb tank on a table, like a picnic table. so that the end of the hose is on the ground.

6) This part you want to move quickly if your in a hot place like Arizona, because you want that 5lber to be nice and cold. Take your cold 5lb tank, with the valve still open, and attach it to the other end of the Coleman hose (The end with the black handle). Once you've tightened the hose, to the left, turn on the gas of the 20lb tank.

7) You will hear the propane leaving the 20lb tank and after a few seconds, the noise will stop. That means that tanks have equalized pressure again, which essentially filled the 5lb tank in the process.

8 Turn off the gas on both tanks.

9) Disconnect the hose from both tanks.

10) Install tank and fire up your 20 year burner on the first push of ignitor.

running it old school

Hope this helps out some people,  (jamesnomore may not be too happy...8)
NYC Kettle Hunter (where <30 min drives do not exist)

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 02:33:04 PM »
Must have been a rush to fire it up for the first time!

8)

Dude, relax your chicken.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Re: The NIB 1992 SS Performer: Propane update!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 02:47:06 PM »
Thanks for sharing! I may be paranoid but I wouldn't want to put an open propane tank in an enclosed area inside my house. Maybe a bag of ice will do the same thing? Why does it need to be open when chilling it?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 02:48:29 PM »
I'm glad you were able to get it to work.

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 03:39:45 PM »
Thanks for sharing! I may be paranoid but I wouldn't want to put an open propane tank in an enclosed area inside my house. Maybe a bag of ice will do the same thing? Why does it need to be open when chilling it?

Yes, definitely. I would think a cooler packed with ice would work just fine. Just don't get water in it. BTW, I used the "garage" refrigerator, which only holds beer.

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 03:44:16 PM »
Why does it need to be open when chilling it?

Oh, because as the tank is changing temperature, so is the pressure inside the tank. You just want the inside of the tank and the outside of the tank to be equal. Plus, you want to make sure its empty.

Sorry for the details, I'm a Science teacher so this stuff gets me all excited.

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 06:32:19 PM »
Shouldn't you turn the 20 lb tank upside down so you are filling the small tank with propane(l) not propane(g)?

I taught science too 8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 03:04:03 AM »
Shouldn't you turn the 20 lb tank upside down so you are filling the small tank with propane(l) not propane(g)?

I taught science too 8)

Awesome! nothing beats being a teacher of Science... ;D

Yes, you're right, by turning the tank upside down, you will be getting more liquid in the tank than gas. I forget to mention that. Two things about flipping the tank that needs more research. 1) The colder tank is being filled with gas, the more that gas will liquefy as it goes in. 2) When you turn a 20lb with an OPD inside it, are you actually blocking flow when the tank is upside down? When I have some time, I will try different methods to see which yields the best results.

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 10:38:52 AM »
Glad to see you got your tank filled, I knew you'd find a way!. I don't think that coleman hose will work for the 5lb quick release tanks which seem to have been used with "newer" SS performers, but there might be something out there. Nice primer here.
Uncommon sense seeker

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 07:20:23 PM »

I taught science too 8)

Awesome! nothing beats being a teacher of Science... ;D

Yes, you're right, by turning the tank upside down, you will be getting more liquid in the tank than gas. I forget to mention that. Two things about flipping the tank that needs more research. 1) The colder tank is being filled with gas, the more that gas will liquefy as it goes in. 2) When you turn a 20lb with an OPD inside it, are you actually blocking flow when the tank is upside down? When I have some time, I will try different methods to see which yields the best results.

Tattooedant, thank you for this (timely) information! I have the same star valve on my tank, and I just used the last of the propane in it last weekend.  Question... when you refilled your 5lb tank, did you have the 20lb tank upside down?
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 04:20:06 AM »

Question... when you refilled your 5lb tank, did you have the 20lb tank upside down?

No, I just raised the 20lb tank and had the 5lb on the floor. But if you do this, can you do it with the 20lb tank upside down? It would be good to see if there is a difference between upside down or not.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 04:49:23 AM »

Consider that filling the tank cold, then, in much hotter weather, the gas expanding to the point the tank cannot contain it.........would this cause a problem?

I got an adapter to fill the little ones for camping, as I was getting tired of just throwing them away & my brother talked me out of using it..........said to be very careful to underfill it if I did this, as the change in temp could expand it enough to rupture..........

Neither one of us are science teachers, but he's worked around welding gasses for decades & seen some crazy stuff...............also told me that a little one (1 lb?) could blow the doors clean off a passenger car, of it went off inside......

Just an alternate viewpoint & I may be totally wrong, but the somehow underfill method would seem safer to me................... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 05:01:07 AM »
The first time the tank is filled, it needs to be purged of air. Otherwise you have a mix of air and propane in the tank that at some point will be explosive. ( Google 'propane LEL UEL' for more info.)

You will most likely not have a source of ignition that would cause this to be a problem, but if there is sufficient static to cause a spark inside the tank the results could be rather spectacular.

Before doing this I would do some research on filling new tanks.
kettles, smokers...