Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First use of WSM  (Read 1386 times)

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
First use of WSM
« on: September 30, 2013, 02:37:43 PM »
Well I got to try my 'new to me' WSM on the weekend. Set it up and off I went.

First cook was some simple chicken wings for dinner Saturday. Sprinkled with Ployboys Yardbird and smoked with hicklory. (sorry no pics)

I had a few problems controlling the temp (not as easy as I had been expecting - was using heatbeads) but I was too excited to let that stop me. :)

So after the wings were off I thought I would take advantage of the fact that I seemed to have the temp relatively under control.

So I threw on a pork neck (again covered in plowboys).

Managed to get the temps under control enough to get 4-5 hours sleep so I was happy.

Here is the pork neck nearly ready to come off (got to 203F after about 14 hours), threw on some ABT's (sprinkled with Bad Byrons Butt Rub - i just like saying that) to cook while the pork was resting in the esky.

ABT's were great!

Pork pulled/shredded really easily and had great smoke ring and bark

Plated with some homemade coleslaw and a couple of different sauces (Rendezvous and Luling's) - obviously used the fine china ;D

Fantastic results on the WSM, need to get in some more practice. Cooking for grand final weekend this long weekend and then for a friends 40th in Nov.

Ken
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 10:35:58 PM by kendoll »
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: First use of WSM
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 03:30:41 PM »

Awright !!!

Pawk 'n' 'Turds !!!!

Looks really grand....esp for the very 1st run...... 8)

I borrowed your 1st picture for use in Craig's thread about ill-fitting Smokey Joe legs.....I think I finally figured out why people do that with the legs........the WSM sits up high on the same shaped legs, maybe they get confused by that.......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
First use of WSM
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 09:21:39 PM »
Great job breaking in the wsm! Looks fantastic ken!
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer