Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Just Asking -- Different Charcoal Brands, Types, And So On  (Read 6637 times)

Duke

• The Duke
Re: Just Asking -- Different Charcoal Brands, Types, And So On
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2013, 02:53:55 PM »
I keep hearing about the Wicked Lump. My understanding is that it's made from American Hardwoods. I take that to mean it doesn't have any mesquite meaning there probably won't be many sparks. If this is true there are several other brands that don't have any mesquite in them that would probably be less expensive and work just as good.

For what it's worth, I went through a few bags of B&B Oak this year and it sparked like mad! When I ran out of it I bought a bag of Lazzari Mesquite and it almost didn't spark? I wonder if B&B is mixing the oak with mesquite? But I can't figure out why the Lazzari mesquite barely sparked?  :-\

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2013, 05:16:53 PM »
I've heard some folks say that the sparking isn't due to wood type but based on any lingering moisture in the wood.  Who knows that could be total BS though. 

In regards to the Wicked Good Lump, for me it's not just that it doesn't spark.  It's denser than other lump, though not as dense as the Japanese stuff.  Produces little ash, burns hot, and for a long time. 

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2013, 06:18:12 PM »

with Wicked Good, I've looked right at it, could tell that a few pieces weren't lit, even though they had a little gray on the edges, went to move them by hand to another kettle & burnt the snot out of my fingers......point being: the stuff's so good it's almost invisible !!!!

The reviews I saw before & just as I started using it & from talking to the people that sold it were that it was made from South American non-endangered hardwoods, then shipped to New Hampshire or wherever they  sell from.......it may be that recently they've switched to US hardwoods like Duke is saying, but the stuff absolutely is the best lump I know of.......VERY dense, but light enough to get (even at it's cost) your money's worth in a bag..... ;D

Lump, for me, is hotter in a SMALLER area......good for the sear & direct.......it's other good use I've found is using the smaller chips that would ordinarily fall thru a grate as extra 'burn insurance' sprinkled on top of stacked briquettes for long burns / cooks.............fills in the gaps in the coals that otherwise might breach & allow the heat to run low or even go out............. 8)

PS: Great experiment....SAX ......

It may be that there's less of a noticeable difference in the smaller confined area of the Smokey's......the experiment might come out a bit different on 22's....I don't know?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 06:21:09 PM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2013, 05:11:04 AM »
I tried adding unlit briquettes, adding lit briquettes, and adding partially lit briquettes, with my dry runs just to see how long it took for the grill to get back up to temp.  I did see a rise in temp; but, I couldn't see any different in the time it took to get back up to temp.  I had the best success so far with the snake method in a dry run using briquettes.  I'm anxious to do a "wet run."  All my tests were with KB.  I don't see any other Kingsford charcoal being offered in my area; and I don't see any other lump brand besides Cowboy being offered in my area.

BTW, I'm still enrolled in the "introductory" class.  I guess that Charcoal 101 will be the next phase, followed by Intermediate, Advanced, and "Look out, I'm comin' through."

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2013, 05:42:46 AM »
I misread, Wicked Good is produced says it's a Blend of South American Hardwoods. It sounds like it's really special stuff. I might need to try it sometime. I read the Competition Blend was also incredible, but was discontinued because they stopped harvesting the trees it was made from.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2013, 05:49:36 AM »
Well, MartyG is the proud owner of not one but TWO bags of the exclusive and unavailable Kingsford Competition.  We can start a bidding war for that vintage charcoal!  Shipping is at the expense of the buyer.  ;-)
One of the charcoal people.