Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: smoker vs kettle  (Read 2911 times)

ad2tude

• Smokey Joe
smoker vs kettle
« on: September 20, 2013, 04:24:37 PM »
Ok guys,I just switched recently from gas to charcoal and won't ever go back! I love my new performer platinum. My curiosity has me looking at a weber smoker. Is there a big difference?
Thanks,Tim

Bman

• WKC Performer
Re: smoker vs kettle
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 04:39:46 PM »
For me ---- I *like* my kettles, but I *love* my 22.5" WSM
What are you looking for as far as big difference goes?
I have had 65 pounds of pork butt on my smoker at once.  Not so much on a kettle.  8)
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 04:48:23 PM »
I currently have an 18.5 and will look into the new 14.5 soon. I use my smoker quite a bit. I would recommend getting one if you have the cash.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 04:57:29 PM »
It depends on how much you plan to smoke. You could also save a little and get the Cajun Bandit stacker for your kettle. It also saves space and can be used on any 22.5.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 05:35:11 PM »
It depends on how much you plan to smoke.

Sounds like something a member of team Cali would say...

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 05:49:47 PM »
You can do anything on a kettle that you would do on a smoker, but it will likely take more work and/or skill.

The Smokey Mountain is purpose built for smoking and does it with ease and aplomb. It holds a lot of charcoal, uses daisy wheels for precise temperature control and has space for a water bowl (or other heat diffuser/moderator) between the fire and two grates. the lid has a tall dome for large pieces of meat.

Gauge by how many you see on Craigslist. They don't sell as many as kettles, nevertheless, they almost never show up in the Chicago market which always has a good selection of kettles and gassers.
kettles, smokers...

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 06:15:13 PM »
I smoke on kettles since they are all I've got. I hope to find a WSM down the road. Closest thing I have now is the mini WSM and it gets the job done..
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 06:31:14 PM by Craig »

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 07:15:22 PM »
If you cook a lot of brisket (like most of us down in Texas do), then get a WSM, they are great for smoking a couple large packer briskets to feed a bunch of people.  I also prefer spare ribs done on my WSM than my kettle.  I can do 6+ slabs of ribs on my WSM.  Would be hard to squeeze that into a kettle to do indirect, unless you've got a Ranch kettle.

ad2tude

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 03:31:18 AM »
Thanks for all the info guys.
Thanks,Tim

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 09:01:32 AM »
It depends on how much you plan to smoke.

Sounds like something a member of team Cali would say...

Ha! I resemble that remark  8). But seriously if you want to smoke a lot of anything you need the right equipment. The kettle is perfect for my small family of 3. A mini wsm may be in my future but I'll probably waffle for years before I spend the $$$.
WTB: Genesis Jr.