Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Please help w/ rust on lid rim  (Read 2169 times)

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
Please help w/ rust on lid rim
« on: September 15, 2013, 06:02:46 PM »
as ya'll know by now I have an 18.5 Budlight OTS. I love it, but it does have some dings/rust on the lid rim

I have a lid thermo and lid holder on the way. While it doesn't affect the cooking(lid fits just fine), the dings/rust have me wondering if I could do something to make them less noticeable.

any idea/suggestions/experiences?
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
Re: Please help w/ rust on lid rim
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 06:15:45 PM »
Glad you started this thread. I have exactly the same with the blue 22 i picked up 2 weeks ago.

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 06:18:56 PM »
Hit it with some SOS pads and soap and then 0000 steel wool. It usually takes most of the surface rust off when I do it. Some have said to spray Pam on there after the rust is gone to keep it from returning too quickly.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 06:36:38 PM »
A small wirewheel on a dremel cleans those up nicely. Keep them oiled to keep rust at bay. If you wanted to get more agressive you could do a rust converter and or paint over.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 07:06:04 PM »
I used a small wire wheel dremel on it.  Clean it up real nice.  Hit it with some gray engine block primer, then some bbq black heat rated spray paint.  Once each of the paints dry, go around and remove the overspray with 0000 steel wool.  It will be far less unsightly than what you have, and it will hold up to the heat.  The black against the blue will look much better.
Kettle collector AND cooker!

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 11:00:24 AM »
Thanks for the replies, doesn't seem like it'll take much as I thought it would
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

Radioguy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 03:46:36 PM »
I second pbe gummi bear's idea of a rust converter.

Once you clean out the surface rust, you might try a product containing phosphoric acid. Something like "naval jelly" or Krud Kutter's A Must for Rust. These products convert ferric oxide or rust into ferric phosphate. You can then paint or otherwise treat the affected areas so the rust doesn't return.

A word of caution on using phosphoric acid: it strips existing paint and can cause chemical burns to exposed skin. Still, with some minor precautions you could make it so you never see rust on your 18.5 lid again. Good luck!!

« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 03:48:51 PM by Radioguy »