Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Marty's new toy  (Read 1658 times)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Marty's new toy
« on: September 14, 2013, 05:46:05 PM »
It seems that the karma is already flowing even before our mini-meetup next week in the DC area.  Marty put up a link on that thread about a WSM he saw in the area.  Having missed that posting myself and thinking it was a long-shot, I nevertheless emailed the seller.  The guy got right back to me, and we made arrangements to pick it up the next morning.   The karma continued as I asked if the smoker was a 22 (as the post indicated) or an 18 (as it appeared to me).  He apologized and said he was mistaken-- he got confused by the 22 OTG he was also selling.  Which was exactly what my buddy has been looking for, so I bought it too ($30, including the char baskets and a big bag of Kingsford comp seemed like a good deal to me). 

This is the third used 18.5 WSM I've purchased (one for me, and two for friends), and the cheapest by far:  70 BUCKS!  Including the cover and 2 bags of K-comp.  Marty is charmed, for sure.  And when I picked it up, the seller told me that I wasn't the first person to respond, but that the first response was rather rude so he moved on to me.  Sweet.

Sure is fun buying used Weber stuff on a sunny Saturday!

And a vent shot for Marty:
One of the charcoal people.

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Marty's new toy
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 06:09:59 PM »
Nice work mike! Two great looking scores for two really cool people!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Brickout

• WKC Brave
Re: Marty's new toy
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 06:21:45 PM »
Ugh you're killing me. I've been searching forever for a used WSM under $150. They just don't exist in my area for that price.

Nice score though!

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 06:29:09 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 06:40:35 PM »
And the SECOND newer 18'er I've lost in the past couple of months.
Snuck out from my back yard as I wasn't quick enough. 
But this one doesn't hurt as much.  :)
Congrats Marty.  Let me know if you need me to hang onto it until the meet-up at your place.  I'll deliver!  ;D
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 07:11:04 PM »
Sweet wsm score! I see it's a newer model that makes it even better.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 07:40:45 PM »
Yeah, Duke, the previous owner called that pan a 'charcoal pan', and it looks like he was putting it inside the bottom section to catch the ashes.  I put it back where it belongs.  That thermo in the lid is nice, too (I put one on my 2008 WSM, and it's pretty handy). 
One of the charcoal people.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 10:25:15 PM »
Now that's a score! Nice teamwork guys!

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
Marty's new toy
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 09:17:11 AM »
Great score. Congrats Marty. That is a great deal.
A Wonderful Family!!!