Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New performer platinum  (Read 2731 times)

ad2tude

• Smokey Joe
New performer platinum
« on: August 18, 2013, 04:38:18 AM »
Hello all, I'm new to the forum and new to grilling with charcoal. I am purchasing a performer platinum later today and wondering if I can use my old propane tank from my gas grill for the ignition on the Weber? I'm assuming a new hose would be needed,and maybe a regulator? Thanks in advance.
Thanks,Tim

MartyG

• WKC Performer
Re: New performer platinum
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 04:46:26 AM »
Welcome to the jungle ad2tude! You'll love it here. Why bother with the old tank? Presuming it's a new Performer you are picking up, the little screw in bottles work great. You won't use much gas - it only takes a couple minutes to get the coals going (use a chimney!) and it will last a long time. Save your money on hoses for meat.  ;D

ad2tude

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 04:49:02 AM »
Welcome to the jungle ad2tude! You'll love it here. Why bother with the old tank? Presuming it's a new Performer you are picking up, the little screw in bottles work great. You won't use much gas - it only takes a couple minutes to get the coals going (use a chimney!) and it will last a long time. Save your money on hoses for meat.  ;D
  Thanks Marty, I will save the money... Yes I am purchasing a 2013 model and I can say I'm excited.
Thanks,Tim

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
New performer platinum
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 04:54:36 AM »
Welcome! Congrats on your purchase! The retrofit you mention can be done but you may just want to give it a spin as designed before going through the hassle of converting to a big tank. Either way, charcoal rocks!

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
New performer platinum
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 06:11:17 AM »
Welcome and congrats on your great purchase! Ask any questions you may have we love to help. Hello from Nashville!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 06:29:11 AM »
Welcome!  Next year, you will have four more usedones sourced form CL

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 07:03:08 AM »
While I don't have the $25 hose to use a 20# tank, it might be in my near future.  Went to fire up the Performer yesterday and the 1 pounder was empty.  I was certain I had a spare on hand, but alas - couldn't find it. 

No regulator or any modification required - just connect the larger tank to the Performer and go.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 08:09:54 AM »
I'm getting the adapter because its cheaper than the replacement tanks that don't screw in. If I had the newer style I'd go with the screw in tanks, I always have tons of those tanks in the trailer and its cleaner looking.
WTB: Genesis Jr.

ad2tude

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 12:43:41 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys!!! Just finished assembly and placed it on the deck,I sent the wife to pick up some steaks. BOY I can't wait to use this grill. Any helpful advice or words of wisdom I could use to fully enjoy this great grill? Thanks for the warm welcome!! It's very nice to be part of a forum where people are friendly and helpful.
Thanks,Tim

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 12:51:52 PM »
Welcome! Food tastes better when you share pics.  ;D
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
New performer platinum
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 12:54:18 PM »
Congrats!! The first point I like to tell folks is the use of direct and indirect cooking. Or one side of the grill has coals and the other doesn't. I sear over the coals for marks and move them to the other side to finish cooking at a slower pace. Thermometers are your friend, a chimney is ideal as well. Let the meat rest after cooking for a few minutes. Top vent should be open most of the time. Use the bottom vent to control temps. More air=hotter fire. When your done cooking close all the vents and let the charcoal cool off. Use what's left for the next cook. The next tip of course Is have fun and enjoy it! Ask anything you want there are tons of more knowledgable guys than me here.

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer