Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Copper and red OTS to OTG  (Read 4942 times)

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
Copper and red OTS to OTG
« on: August 08, 2013, 05:36:40 AM »
I came home the other evening to a number of weber boxes on my doorstep from the order I had placed. After a little spraycan work and drilling a few holes, I added a therm to my WSM and my copper, added a lid bale to the copper, and finally, added ash catcher baskets to that same copper and my 18" redhead. Here are a couple of rushed snapshots, will add more later:

First coat of paint--big diffence in size between the ash bucket for the 18" and the one for the 22"

Therm installed on my new-to-me WSM and ashbucket on the redhead (WSM center section intentionally kept upside down to keep dry)

Lid Bale, therm and ashbucket added to the copper (and new bale rollers for my SS)

the copper again

The redhead heating up for some quick burgers

While I spent nearly as much for the add-ons as I did for the two grills, I do think the added convenience is worth it.  Only issue I had was that the one-touch holes in the redhead seem to have been drilled differently than the more current ones, as they extend beyond the ashring by about 3/8".  When compared to the holes in my black 18", they are actually a bit narrower and longer, but what really causes the issue is the holes are cut further from the center, so they extend beyond the ash-ring. My guess is the early one-touch system on the 18's were not designed with the intent to have an ash bucket. I will try to post some pictures soon to better describe it.
Uncommon sense seeker

Duke

• The Duke
Re: Copper and red OTS to OTG
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 05:39:58 AM »
Nice work!

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 05:42:01 AM »
Nice work. They look great. That's a lot of effort there, especially on that copper.

The blue OTG looks quite light. Is that just the picture or is it actually a light blue?

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 05:58:12 AM »
It is the lighting in the  photo... the redhead looks correct, but the blue appears lighter than it truly is.
Uncommon sense seeker

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 06:08:28 AM »
Absolutely beautiful. Nice work. I love that copper.

The black ash pans look so much better IMO. Aside from the paint scratching off over time, but installed it looks tip top.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 06:21:46 AM »
Also, the OTG's use a differnet OT ash assembly handle and blades. They don't line up exactly the same as the old style. By the way, the old style is no longer made.   8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 07:38:48 AM »
Nice work OGlenn! Colorful lineup you got there!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Ken Mc

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 07:50:26 AM »
Very nice OGlenn. Love the work on the copper and the performer. I like the black rollers...
Lookin' for a flat top 26"( not black)

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Copper and red OTS to OTG
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 07:54:14 AM »
Nice work! Looks great with all the add-ons!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 09:28:05 AM »
Thanks for the positive comments. I borrowed the ideas from various posts I've seen here, nothing too original. I bought my first weber (actually a two-fer) for $10 this past spring, found this site as I was searching for a method to clean them up. Now I'm up to five kettles, one SS, and a WSM, as I have learned to appreciate them more and more.
Uncommon sense seeker

fat side down

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 09:47:26 AM »
They look great!  You probably know that I'm working on a Copper OTS conversion right now too.  Hope to have it completed tonight.
Couple of questions...  Did you find black plastic rollers for the lid bale or are they painted?  Same question for the ring around the thermometer...painted or did you find one that way.

Anyway...that Copper kettle looks great!

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 10:00:59 AM »
I painted the thermo bezel with the same high heat (1200 degree) manifold paint I used on the buckets, with the hope it will last.  I tried painting the rollers with the same paint, but it didn't work well, as the lid scratched it up almost immediately (i didn't use a primer coat... that may have helped). Went with a ghetto fix and used a wide black permanent marker to "stain" the rollers, and it looks surprisingly good... for now.' On a slow day, I will disassemble and try to repaint with a primer coat first. I also used the high heat paint to protect the exposed metal caused by drilling the holes.
Uncommon sense seeker

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 11:15:00 AM »
Also, the OTG's use a differnet OT ash assembly handle and blades. They don't line up exactly the same as the old style. By the way, the old style is no longer made.   8)

My blades do line up OK, despite the reduced travel room available due to the ring, but the ring is too small for this grill (an EO date code, fwiw) leaving a gap between the ring and each of the three ash holes. I'll rig up something to make it work, but for now it looks like this:

Uncommon sense seeker

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 12:20:26 PM »
Good info, Sooooo close too!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 07:33:04 AM »
Does anyone know what year Weber went from the three wheel vents to the one touch system?
Uncommon sense seeker