Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smokey Joe  (Read 1161 times)

BBQ Bob

• Smokey Joe
Smokey Joe
« on: August 05, 2013, 10:15:52 AM »
I just purchased a Smokey Joe gold to take a camping trip.  I think it is not up to par when it comes to cooking on a weber.  It just didn't cook at all.  There was no vents on the bottom to introduce air in to the grill.  It didn't heat up at all.  I'm pissed!

HankB

• WKC Performer
Re: Smokey Joe
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 10:26:11 AM »
You did see the vents on the side, right? Apologies if that is a stupid question...

I've cooked on my Jumbo Joe a couple times now, most recently yesterday, and the side vents were sufficient. I only used half a mini chimney of lump and cooked 4 ears of corn followed by half a dozen brats and it worked fine. In fact, I had to close the side vents down to about half when I put the brats on since I didn't want too much heat.

I can also confirm that Cowboy Lump is now made from pieces of wood branches rather than lumber scraps.
kettles, smokers...

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 10:35:06 AM »
I find a good way to use them is to let the charcoal really get going first. I have seen another guy that controls it by the side vents.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?36343-How-I-made-my-SJG-hot

bryanw21157

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 11:29:03 AM »
I like the 'cut a big hole in the bottom and put the chimney in the hole' approach.  Cooks your food to a crisp, smoldering mass in no time     ;)

seriously, I understand.  I use my SJ for my mini-wsm.  about all it's good for.
The only thing better than BBQ is more BBQ
Black Performer -- 18-1/2" Coca-Cola OTS -- Mini WSM -- 18-1/2" WSM -- 1997 Blue OTG -- 2014 Jumbo Joe / WSM

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 12:28:58 PM »
In my opinion the silver bottom vent system works better than the gold side vent system for normal grilling. I have gotten superb results however on both grills. Because space is an issue if you need high heat let the coals spend more time in the chimney before the dump. My gold is exclusively a traveler and a mini wsm base, silver is my daily cooker. I use it regularly on my performer table for sides if the capacity calls for it.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 07:56:17 PM »
Bob, we gotta do something about that name...  I did a triple take, thinking "I didn't post anything about a Smokey Joe....".   8)
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"