Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Bar-B-Q-Kettle mods  (Read 3984 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Bar-B-Q-Kettle mods
« on: July 26, 2013, 07:09:18 PM »
Thanks to Duke for sharing the pics of his 26" BBQK cook grate mod, I set out to make one for mine, and what a difference it makes!

The expanded metal rests perfectly on the grate holders and raises the cook grate @3" to the top of the bowl. I used some expando wired to a charcoal rail and another length arched to corral the fuel.

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
Re: Bar-B-Q-Kettle mods
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 07:21:20 PM »
Looks the goods..... Now to find a 26er any 26er :-\
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 08:15:47 PM »
Nice job Swamp! I also use a torch. Do you ever use a chimney?

Anyways, I just happened to be cooking some king salmon my friend caught while I was reading your thread. Here are a few pictures of my raised grate in action. What I did was make a large basket that I could spread the coals out on for direct cooks like this. Kind of like a Santa Maria style. I have a tri tip I might be doing tomorrow.

You must be getting kings out your way these days too. :)

Craig

• WKC Mod
Bar-B-Q-Kettle mods
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 08:21:47 PM »
I'll have to do this mod when I find an old 26"er some day. Very nice! I want a weed burner too. Food looks great Gentlemen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 08:27:01 PM »
You will, I have my eye out for one with your name on it. The weed burner is a great way to go. By the way, your avatar and tagline are the best! I like the idea of using the old slogans and adding the WKC to them. Extra points for the color matching with that awesome Chief picture. :)

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
Bar-B-Q-Kettle mods
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 03:39:34 AM »
I love my weed burner. Maybe someday ill find me a 26er too.
A Wonderful Family!!!