Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: It came to me! UPDATE: Photos of resto and first cook.  (Read 7133 times)

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
Re: It came to me! UPDATE: Photos of resto and first cook.
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2013, 09:10:04 PM »
I'm so glad you got that grill Mike....I believe the word Karma comes to mind in this instance.   That is a tough one to find, not sure what's better the story or the grill.  Great find.....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2013, 09:31:08 PM »
That is an amazing grill and an absolutely wonderful story.

That is a score to be proud of, super rare find.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2013, 06:40:44 AM »
I don't think anyone answered your question. ALL Jumbo Joes, Smokey Joe Paltinums and they were also called Outriders had a slightly different size grate. Luckily you can still buy one from Weber. At least at last check you could.  8)

Appliance Factory Parts Show them. Should be cheaper at Weber

http://www.appliancefactoryparts.com/search/part/551740/135917

I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2013, 06:44:23 AM »
Thanks, everyone!  You're getting me even more excited about this rescue (and I was pretty excited already). 

And thanks, AJ for the info on the top grate.  I'll grab a new top grate while they are still available.  Is the bottom (charcoal) grate the standard size, though?
One of the charcoal people.

vader06

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2013, 10:26:52 AM »
That is a beautiful grill.  I am being patient because I am looking for a red one.
Genesis Gold B, 18" WSM, 18" Yellow, 22" Blue OTG, 22" Lime MBH, 22"  Black SJ, Black Jumbo Joe Platinum and Red 22" LE.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2013, 12:56:11 PM »
You're right, AJ.  Weber still has the top grate (#70605) for just $10.  They also told me that the charcoal grate is a special size (#7440, $9.99), but I'm not sure I believe them.  The CS agent seemed to be bluffing about a few things.

I'll be sure to grab an extra grate before they go out of production.  Thanks for the tip!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2013, 08:40:12 PM »
Got my new grates the other day, and finished refinishing the handle.  It was in pretty good shape, so I sanded it down, coated it with clear Australian Timber Oil, and put 3 coats of satin spar varnish on it.  Took a long time for all of those coats to dry with the humid weather we've had around DC of late. 

The oil shows that I should have been more diligent with my initial sanding, but it looks pretty good overall.  Not an O'Neal-- not by a longshot!-- but not bad for an original EZ handle.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2013, 08:45:29 PM »
Nice work Mike! I believe you might be happier with a smokey joe top grate for the charcoal grate because they are finer and will hold a charcoal rail better than the regular ones. Put a sweet new chrome one in it. ;)