Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Accessory?  (Read 3825 times)

LowNSlow77

• Smokey Joe
First Accessory?
« on: August 18, 2024, 02:32:10 PM »
Since I have bought my first weber kettle I am wondering what should be the first accessory I should get?

I would like the Slow N Sear, but since I ended up with the 18 inch kettle instead of the 22 that I wanted, I think I will hold off with that until I decide if I am getting the 22 inch.  Are there any accessories that work with the 18 that would also work on the 22 that you all would recommend?

I really can't think of anything off the top of my head other than the Slow N Sear, but let me know if I am missing something.

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
Re: First Accessory?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2024, 03:39:15 PM »
A set of BBQ tools?
A better thermometer.

Erich

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2024, 08:19:05 PM »
Vortex.  Wings will never be better.

LowNSlow77

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2024, 09:37:38 PM »
I do have many different bbq tools, my wife might say too many, and I have instant read thermometers from thermapen that I like alot.

A vortex, that I will have to look at.  Not sure what that is used for.

Thanks for the suggestions.

MANCHAS2020

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2024, 06:47:04 AM »
Since I have bought my first weber kettle I am wondering what should be the first accessory I should get?

I would like the Slow N Sear, but since I ended up with the 18 inch kettle instead of the 22 that I wanted, I think I will hold off with that until I decide if I am getting the 22 inch.  Are there any accessories that work with the 18 that would also work on the 22 that you all would recommend?

I really can't think of anything off the top of my head other than the Slow N Sear, but let me know if I am missing something.
If you decide to purhcase the excellent SlowNSear I will also recommend purchasing their SS Drip Pan Deluxe which makes clean-up a breeze on the Weber Kettle.

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2024, 08:01:06 AM »
Weber charcoal chimney and a Thermopen One instant read thermometer. Thermopen Thermopop is great too, priced better just a little slower.

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2024, 09:05:10 AM »
Actually 2 charcoal chimneys a large for big cooks & a small for those just 2 burger, or enough to start a snake for smoking, days.

LowNSlow77

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2024, 09:57:25 AM »
Weber charcoal chimney and a Thermopen One instant read thermometer. Thermopen Thermopop is great too, priced better just a little slower.

Yup.  I already have two thermapens and a thermopop.  Great products.
Actually 2 charcoal chimneys a large for big cooks & a small for those just 2 burger, or enough to start a snake for smoking, days.

Good idea.  When I bought the kettle they threw in a small chimney.  I never thought of using it along with the big one I already own.

MoparProud

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2024, 11:24:17 AM »
Learn to cook on it first. I know people get excited and want to buy this and that but part of the fun is learning it. And then get a vortex or slow n sear, and after having cooks under your belt you can SEE what difference they make, and compare and tweak and maybe find no accessories works for this and that, slow n sear good for that cook and so on.

My advice, just cook. A chimney isn’t so much an accessory to me, it’s a necessity. Especially in windy conditions they make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

LowNSlow77

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2024, 11:30:44 AM »
Learning to cook on it is absolutely the first step.  I definitely learned last night that a reverse sear on an 18 is hard.  If I cook for more than two regularly, the 22 might be a necessity.

vader

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2024, 11:17:38 AM »
Burn a few things before you jump into accessories.......

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2024, 11:26:50 AM »
When I got my 26er in 2010 my first accessory was 4 1.5 inch bone in Ribeyes
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2024, 06:20:34 AM »
Learning to cook on it is absolutely the first step.  I definitely learned last night that a reverse sear on an 18 is hard.  If I cook for more than two regularly, the 22 might be a necessity.
The 18 doesn’t need a lot a charcoal to get hot.  I use one Weber basket to maximize the indirect space.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk