Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Looking for weight of first gen SSP (no gas assist)  (Read 1679 times)

NortherLee

• Smokey Joe
Looking for weight of first gen SSP (no gas assist)
« on: September 06, 2024, 03:35:07 PM »
Hoping someone here has or has had a first gen SSP (no gas assist) and some method of weighing it. Trying to work out shipping costs with a transport company.

More info: First gen SSP offered on a sale/trade site. Black kettle with original everything intact, including charcoal bin and cover. In fairly decent condition, left covered in a garage for years by the look of it. Some rust in the bowl but might just be discoloration. Problem: it's over 600 miles away. Gas prices in Spain are EXTREMELY high -- the drive would add upwards of $300 to the purchase cost, plus another $100 for an overnight stay in the city where the SSP is located. Maybe two hotel stays, because I'm not as young as I once was!

If it were another time and place I would've already been up there and back with it, but things are a little tight these days. Hoping a shipping company can get this SSP to me for under $100. We have the dimensions, but not the weight.

Anyone know or have a rough idea about the weight of this thing, I would be very much obliged! Cheers all.

Currently figuring out how a first gen SSP is gonna fit into a busted old sedan...

Jburns

• Smokey Joe
Re: Looking for weight of first gen SSP (no gas assist)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2024, 06:05:37 AM »
The closest I could find, and I know it's not what you're looking for, is the Master Carton dimensions (original boxed weight and inches) of a 2004 Performer with gas assist. I'd expect the non-gas version to be pretty close to this, as the gas train components don't weigh much. 

221/2" Black
MASTER CARTON Min. 1 Cu. Ft. 16.32 Weight 114.3 lbs. Height 22.5" Length 42.5" Depth 29.5"

The individual dimensions of a built unit are below, but unfortunately we didn't capture assembled weight back then. However, the Master Carton info above includes packaging, so you could expect the unit to weigh even less than 114.3 lbs. when assembled.

INDIVIDUAL UNIT Height 40"Length 50.3" Depth 28.5"

#IworkforWeber
« Last Edit: September 09, 2024, 06:08:22 AM by Jburns »

NortherLee

• Smokey Joe
Re: Looking for weight of first gen SSP (no gas assist)
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2024, 03:33:58 AM »
Thank you, that's actually very helpful. The seller estimates the unboxed weight at around 88 lbs, which might be a little optimistic considering all the stainless steel involved. At 88 lbs, the estimated shipping costs are upwards of $280. Not a great outlook.

If and when I do get a precise weight for this model -- 1991 according to the age guide -- I'll post it on this thread for general reference.

Advice and opinions are very welcome!
Currently figuring out how a first gen SSP is gonna fit into a busted old sedan...