Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SSP Lid Bail Upgrade  (Read 9948 times)

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
SSP Lid Bail Upgrade
« on: April 20, 2024, 12:30:08 PM »
I’m sure a lot of you have to installed this upgrade, but I wanted to share for those that may be new to the hobby.  This is a great way to gain more space at the grill when the lid is resting.  It really helps for lefties like me….  Part number is Weber 65188 and can be found on Amazon.  Also included and obligatory shot of the ‘73 Texan enjoying time on the deck with the SSPs.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Kneab

• WKC Performer
Re: SSP Lid Bail Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2024, 01:45:57 PM »
Nice ssp.
Love that lid bale upgrade. It's definitely much better than stock. I have done the same to every 1st and 2nd gen performer that has crossed my patio. Money well spent.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2024, 01:53:28 PM »

Nice ssp.
Love that lid bale upgrade. It's definitely much better than stock. I have done the same to every 1st and 2nd gen performer that has crossed my patio. Money well spent.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Thank you sir!

Gringo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2024, 07:02:45 PM »
Yes! Thanks Greg!  I will replace the stock lid bale on my Gen2 because of you! 

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2024, 07:31:02 PM »

Yes! Thanks Greg!  I will replace the stock lid bale on my Gen2 because of you! 

Nice!  Thinking about doing this on my red LE too…..

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Babekyu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2024, 06:51:35 AM »
This is cool.  Do you have a cover for that SSP, and does it still fit with this upgrade?  I just picked up this cover from grillstuff.com.  I'll have to see if I have extra room.  How much you think, 2 inches maybe?

https://www.grillstuff.com/products/weber-performer-charcoal-grill-cover-2004-and-older

Weber Spirit Gasser/Weber Kettle 22" Black (AA-2011)/Weber Performer Black/Weber SS Performer Red Mist (EE-1999)/26" Master Touch Smoke Grey/Weber Smokey Mountain 22" Black - 3"casters/unknown bbq hinge/lavalock vent handles (4) - Sold

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2024, 07:03:31 AM »
This is cool.  Do you have a cover for that SSP, and does it still fit with this upgrade?  I just picked up this cover from grillstuff.com.  I'll have to see if I have extra room.  How much you think, 2 inches maybe?

https://www.grillstuff.com/products/weber-performer-charcoal-grill-cover-2004-and-older

I do have covers for both, bought from Amazon and is actually made for the Summit.  Very heavy duty and probably the best covers I have for my grills.  Nice SSP you have by the way!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076FK2PH3?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Babekyu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2024, 09:48:22 AM »
Nice SSP you have by the way!

Thanks.

I think I have about two inches to spare with my cover, so I may give this SSP lid bail upgrade a whirl.
Weber Spirit Gasser/Weber Kettle 22" Black (AA-2011)/Weber Performer Black/Weber SS Performer Red Mist (EE-1999)/26" Master Touch Smoke Grey/Weber Smokey Mountain 22" Black - 3"casters/unknown bbq hinge/lavalock vent handles (4) - Sold

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2024, 10:13:47 AM »

Nice SSP you have by the way!

Thanks.

I think I have about two inches to spare with my cover, so I may give this SSP lid bail upgrade a whirl.
And yes, I believe about two inches would be the difference….

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2024, 03:51:04 AM »

I do have covers for both, bought from Amazon and is actually made for the Summit.  Very heavy duty and probably the best covers I have for my grills.  Nice SSP you have by the way!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076FK2PH3?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Can you send me a link to the covers you use for the SSP?   My cover from grill stuff.com has developed holes at the lid handle and at some seams.  It’s about 4 years old btw. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador

Babekyu

• WKC Brave

cdp8

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2024, 11:54:48 AM »
The new lid bail design also works well on the MT, too. I upgraded so I could use the lid bail with a rotisserie ring.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 12:13:33 PM by cdp8 »

Zulu Kono

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2024, 09:44:33 PM »
Anyone ever installed one of the old-style bails onto an 18" kettle?
I've got an old junker performer (post SS) whose
bail I've been considering installing on my 18",
but I hate to be drilling holes into it if won't work.

oldthermometer

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2024, 03:28:24 AM »
The only problem I have with the newer lid bail is that the threads stick so far in that it was a pain to get the cooking grate on. I ended up taking a cut off wheel and trimming them down a bit.