Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Where do you put the chimney?  (Read 4682 times)

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Where do you put the chimney?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2024, 12:41:41 PM »

@Big Dawg When I began experimenting with kamados I learned that all charcoal doesn’t have to be lit and flaming hot at once.  I enjoy building the fire as much as cooking… Different methods of cooking require different amounts of heat and I find it interesting to start a fire on one side of a slow n sear or in the middle of a pile depending on the type of grill or setup of the Summit or kettle.  So, I usually use my FlameKing torch and refillable cylinders which takes about 15-25 seconds to get some coals lit, then adjust vents to get desired results, bringing temps up slowly.  I really don’t enjoy carrying a fully lit chimney of coals or pouring them out while on my deck.  It was a stressful part for me so I eliminated it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

I get what you're saying.  I've never had a Kamado.  Also, it may make a difference that I only use the small Weber Chimney.  So I will usually take one load and dump it, cold, into the either the SnS or the Vortex, then I'll load it up again and get those coals going.  After I add them to cold ones, I let it run for a minute to get up to temp.

To each his own . . .

BD
Great idea!  Agree, many ways to skin a cat, do what works for you and makes the experience fun.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2024, 04:26:56 PM »
On the charcoal grate.

cdp8

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2024, 10:57:24 PM »
On a large paving brick on the ground. Been using the same bricks for 15+ years. Using the charcoal grate would elevate the open flame too  high for my particular location.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Where do you put the chimney?
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2024, 03:42:50 AM »
I light my chimney(s) using the SSP gas assist.  I either leave it there or use a paver.  My patio is exposed aggregate and obviously don’t want to harm it.   I’ve pondered a torch but the SSP has assist/chimney is quite fast and my grills are spread around the patio. 

Btw, lighting a kamado is quite different than a kettle.  For the Kamado, I use a mini chimney with very little coal, let that get hot and then dump it in the summit.  With all the vents wide-open on the summit, it basically acts like a chimney.   With a Kamado, you need to start with a small hot fire, not a big hot fire and slowly let your temperatures build, but that happens fast because the Kamado acts like a chimney with the top vent wide open.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 03:46:00 AM by michaelmilitello »