Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Low and slow set up for 22  (Read 654 times)

dirtfishingman

• WKC Brave
Low and slow set up for 22
« on: March 19, 2023, 05:41:09 PM »
I have zero issues maintaining the temps I want.  I either set it up with my poor man's basket or my hunsaker firewall.... I always run my pit viper fan and Fireboard 2...

My Dilemma is I want to try to use all of my cooking grate and trying to avoid a hot spots. 

I made a drunk purchase the other night and ordered the new weber charcoal diffuser and vortex.. I'm just looking to gain my real-estate for my 22. .

What are u guys using?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Low and slow set up for 22
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 05:59:07 PM »
So many methods available…26” with SNS xl and dng xl, 22” WSM gives two full 22” levels, summit charcoal with diffuser gives you 24” and probably not popular here but an 18” Kamado Joe works really well too.  For a 22” kettle a SNS and dng can do so much and holds temps amazingly, especially with the arsenal of controllers you have.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 07:40:15 PM »
This is how I get all of my real-estate, using the 1822

Dude, relax your chicken.

Chesapeake Weber

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 08:48:26 PM »
That’s genius [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

vader

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023, 05:37:34 AM »

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2023, 02:34:25 PM »
Love Tom's videos.

I think if I didn't already have a Vortex and SnS I might take a look at it.  But for me the best thing about this is that Weber is still coming up with new stuff for the venerable old 22 . . .

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

dirtfishingman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2023, 06:00:42 PM »
So my drunk purchase showed up today https://youtu.be/lSKK1XBVPKM

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2023, 10:48:07 AM »
I just use the Cajun Bandit smoker stacker! It raises the cooking surface up & comes with a diffusion plate & a ring to separate the coals from the kettle walls. If I really want to slow it down I have a large "Caldero", a Brazillian style shallow, but wide saucepan.

I have it anyway for smoking, but it makes a handy Brazilian style raised grate. Then I go with a snake using the baskets supplied as a separator to make the snake into a giant "S"

dirtfishingman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2023, 01:55:26 PM »
In the middle of the test run... the video will be put later tonight or tomorrow.. so far the diffuser seems to be even heating once... the snake is set up like this

dirtfishingman

• WKC Brave

mattstaub

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2023, 01:00:34 PM »
I use the Skyflame

Skyflame Stainless Steel Charcoal Chamber& Heat Deflector, BBQ Smoking Gilling Kit Compatible With 22” Weber Kettle Grills Cooking - U.S. Design Patent, Turns Your Charcoal Grill Into a Smoker or Outdoor Oven https://a.co/d/8zZ3QnU

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

dirtfishingman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2023, 01:04:27 PM »
I was looking at that does the open spots have hot spots for them where the diffuser is at

vader

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2023, 06:28:48 AM »
I already have a Weber diffuser from the Master-Touch Premium. I want to move the grill grate up without drilling more holes. I like the Skyflame brackets, but there doesn't appear to be a way to purchase them separately. I can't even find that the Skyflame website, it appears that they are only distributed through Amazon.

dirtfishingman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2023, 06:35:35 AM »
I was looking at that does the open spots have hot spots for them where the diffuser is at

I already have a Weber diffuser from the Master-Touch Premium. I want to move the grill grate up without drilling more holes. I like the Skyflame brackets, but there doesn't appear to be a way to purchase them separately. I can't even find that the Skyflame website, it appears that they are only distributed through Amazon.
I had no issue drilling at all... but I looked hard for brackets