Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Loving My SSP  (Read 729 times)

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Loving My SSP
« on: January 11, 2023, 06:32:58 AM »
Had a late dinner last night after going with my wife for a presentation for her college using my SSP with propane assist.  Her initial question to me was "Isn't the gas grill going to be faster?  It's 8:45...."  My response:  "Watch this...."  Loaded a slow n sear basket with B&B orange bag and slid it to the center of the grill and fired up the propane assist which I left on for about 10 minutes.  Coals were blazing and I moved the sns to one side, inserted the drip n griddle and I had a 400F grill ready to go in about 20 minutes total.  We still had leftover chili so I threw on a couple of hot dogs on the indirect side and dinner was ready in about 10 more minutes.  No pictures of the cook this time but I'm super impressed with the gas assist and wanted to share.  Sure I could have used a chimney but this method is super easy and I didn't have to dump the coals from one location to another.  I read all the time that people say they haven't used their gas assist in years...  I really like mine and plan on using it often.  Pic of my SSP for reference........
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 06:41:44 AM by bamakettles »

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Loving My SSP
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2023, 03:37:12 AM »
I think it's a grate feature as well !
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

SixZeroFour

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2023, 11:16:20 AM »
Beautiful SSP!

It always surprises me when I see people mention that they don't like the gas-assist. Seems to be one of those love it or hate it type scenario's almost like a side buner on a gasser... I find it super handy!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2023, 02:47:05 PM »
I love my SSP.  It lights my chimney every time I cook.  The five pound tank lasts 5-6 months.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kcsmokinribs

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2023, 05:04:09 AM »
Bama - beautiful ssp you have there. I am also a huge fan of the starter assist…very easy to use and with charcoal trays no need to dump hot coals.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2023, 09:01:55 AM »
Thanks guys, this grill makes cooking so easy…. It’s my little Summit really.  Having the table, wheels to move around easily, SS sweeps, easy remove ash pan and gas assist have spoiled me for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bgilbert44

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2023, 09:58:39 AM »
I love my 2010 Performer and I've used that thing as my workhorse grill for ages, but I've always wanted an SSP Performer - ESPECIALLY in Blue.
I think I might need a bigger backyard soon...

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2023, 12:36:53 PM »
A blue one would be really cool.  I have a blue OTP and could transfer to the SSP cart but I'd lose the gas assist.  I love the look of an SSP in red too.......

vader

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2023, 04:56:23 AM »
Get the drill out to add the gas assist, very easy to do.