Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Summit kamado?  (Read 1360 times)

nek.93

• Smokey Joe
Summit kamado?
« on: February 02, 2023, 03:02:28 AM »
   Ok, so I’ve been looking at these, the summit kamado, but just online, reading and watching reviews. Haven’t actually touched one yet.  I like what i see but who all has experience with them and would you recommend?
   My next question is since my grilling space is limited and I now have a 22” kettle that has some miles on it and a 22” wsm that I once in awhile. Would you replace both of those with this summit?
   I know it’s all personal preference but I’d like to hear y’all’s thoughts…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Summit kamado?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 05:34:51 AM »
I found a first generation Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center (now the Summit Kamado S6) used last year and jumped on it without hesitation.  It's a great grill, has gas assist charcoal starting, adjustable charcoal grate levels and cooks some amazing food.  I especially like the top vent - having the ability to totally open the lid exhaust gets the fire going really quickly.  Also, having the table is a huge upgrade and probably one reason I use the Summit over my other kettles or WSM.  I must admit, I've not used my 26" much since adding the Summit to the lineup.  The two grills are really close in abilities and cooking space.  That said, I'd say you can pretty much do most things the Summit can do on a 26".  There's no way I would have paid retail for one at $2150 but for about 1/4 of that I jumped on it.  I'm probably not the person to ask if you should replace what you have with a Summit though.  I tend to hold on to most of what I have because I like to have the choice of grilling on different cookers and I collect - you have to make that decision.  I will say for me, it's important to have a few that can travel with me as we like to take grills to the beach each year.  I can positively say that unless I move there my Summit will never see the coast.  For that reason, I'd say keep the kettle at least or maybe add a JJ or GA to the mix.  Good luck and hope to see some cooks from you soon!

nek.93

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 06:47:02 AM »
I won’t be getting rid of any grills just moving them to my shop 4 miles from my house. One day I’ll have a shelter of some sort where they will all reside. My thoughts were it would be a tiny bit more grate space right?, and hold temps and conserve on charcoal a bit plus a new grill, which you can’t argue with.
   I would be getting the e6 which has no gas assist or table so I’m looking at about $1200.

nek.93

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 06:48:07 AM »
I Guess what i would like to hear are the pros and cons over regular kettle.

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 08:54:04 AM »
I've had the Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center since it came out. Once I bought and smoked on it, I got rid of my 22", 18" & 14" WSMs. I grill on it at least 5 times a week. I have replaced the cooking grate once under warranty due to a broken weld.  It is the perfect grilling machine and has no issues smoking. I also have the standalone without the table that I will be putting in a custom counter this summer.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 07:15:34 PM »
Might want to try the Summit Charcoal FB group for advice.  Unfortunately, there is very limited participation in this forum anymore…. Trying to keep it going here, but not many willing to join in.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2023, 08:55:35 PM »
Might want to try the Summit Charcoal FB group for advice.  Unfortunately, there is very limited participation in this forum anymore…. Trying to keep it going here, but not many willing to join in.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
I think the main issue in this case is there are not a lot of WSC owners in this group.  As for me, I'd love to have one but it is too rich for my blood. 

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

SixZeroFour

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2023, 09:40:31 PM »
Another SCG owner here and agree 100% with all the positive comments. It's a fantastic grill and could easily take the place of a 22" kettle / WSM on the deck. The versatility of the SCG really is excellent.

In my opinion it's the perfect all in one charcoal unit for both grilling AND smoking, and you'll likely love the extra cooking space it offers over a 22. It doesn't look/sound like much of a difference but the extra real estate when in use is fantastic.
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

MoparProud

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2023, 09:55:23 PM »
I’ve had my Summit Charcoal for almost three years. It’s the best charcoal I have, period. My gf got it for me for combination birthday/Father’s Day as she knew I had my eye on it for nearly a year. So if I remember right it’s a 2016 that I got brand new in 2020…

It’s THE BEST searer I’ve ever used. Toss a steak or 10 on, get them close to temp and open the lid. In under a minute you’ve got flames tickling the meat. It’s great.

It’s also an insanely good smoker, again the best I have (rivaled only by Smokefire….); it’s incredibly efficient and will last longer than anything on the market low and slow, and is easier to reload if needed than other Kamado styles. But if you’re smoking longer than 20 hours……it’s also got a port for a temp controller, which I do play with using my Thermoworks X4 with Billows, but it’s also absolutely easy to get it settled on a temp.

Bonus if you’re in cold or windy (or like myself, both) environment, it WILL hold temp better than a kettle, period. It’s far more fuel efficient than a pellet as wel; last Smokefire cook I did it was close to -20 with a, I think that’s when I did the prime but I had to top off the hopper three times.

It’s built well. Yes the Summit Kamado isn’t as nice as the Summit Charcoal, it lacks gas assist unless getting the table and some of the other premium touches, but it’s the same cooker.

I cannot recommend one enough. Yes, yes, YES, get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

nek.93

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2023, 01:57:49 AM »
Thanks for a all the replies! Wish I could find a store near me (eastern NC) that had one on the floor that I could look at in person but guess I’ll take your advice and spring for it here soon.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Summit kamado?
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2023, 08:04:34 AM »
I’ve had my summit kamado e6 for a year.   Best grill I’ve used without any doubt.   I use it all year but where it shines best is winter.  So efficient and stable.   I kicked the tires on ceramics but Webers approach is just better in every way.  I did get rid of my much loved wsm 18 when I got it. 

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2023, 02:02:17 PM »
I have had my Summit for 2½ years and absolutely love it. Super efficient smoker, regular grill and pizza cooker. From 200° to somewhere around 800° it truly does it all.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2023, 03:47:10 PM »
I forgot to mention I added a Killa grilla SS grate with one door to it. It is amazing. I didn't necessarily need it (original grate is SS too) but I do not use the gbs accessories and had the center wired in to keep it from falling out when I removed the grate.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

nek.93

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2023, 06:45:45 PM »
Thanks again for replies! Does anyone know of a Weber dealer in Atlanta that may have a summit kamado sitting on their floor? Or any good Weber dealer that has a good assortment of goodies in the area. TIA

TomCrump

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2023, 07:13:39 AM »
I agree with the rest. I have the original Summit grilling center and love it. If I could have only one grill/smoker, this would be my choice. I use it far more often than I use my WSM, kettle, or stick burner.

In my opinion, you can't go wrong by purchasing a Summit.