Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Last Straw  (Read 529 times)

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Last Straw
« on: November 27, 2022, 12:09:22 PM »
First of all, my apologies to all who have endured my pellet adapter posts with the Spider 22 pellet attachment.  Today I decided to try a take n bake pizza using the adapter.  Major fail #2, this thing took an hour to get to 96F.  Shutdown function yielded a storm of smoke and - I sh%# you not an explosion that shot the lid off the grill.  I was actually watching out the window and would not have believed it if I hadn’t seen it.  “What was that sound?”  Kellee said….  I’m done looking outside of Weber tried and true methods and Spider will be lucky not to hear from my attorney.  At last look outside there was melted plastic oozing onto my deck from the unit.  On a positive note, the Papa Murphy’s pizza cooked in the convention oven was amazing.

Next pizza try will be on my Summit Charcoal Grilling Station and I’ll be happy to be done with this foolishness.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Last Straw
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2022, 01:24:25 PM »
Refund request sent this evening and I was given a full refund within 5 minutes and they said just throw it in the trash which I’ll be happy to do.  Such an odd experience…..

watkinsb87

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2022, 06:24:58 PM »
First off I’m glad you, your wife, and your house are ok.

But I have to ask- which kettle were you using? Is it salvageable?

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 03:03:47 AM »

First off I’m glad you, your wife, and your house are ok.

But I have to ask- which kettle were you using? Is it salvageable?

I was using the blue One Touch Platinum and it’s fine - only the lid lifted off the kettle a few inches and landed back on the bowl.  No damage at all thankfully.  There’s some soot on the side which I’m sure will come off with an SOS pad and some elbow grease.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 03:33:42 AM »
Trash ! apparently that's a good spot for it LOL
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2022, 06:31:56 AM »
Glad nobody was hurt and a nice cooker wasn’t damaged.   Obviously, it’s ready for primetime.

Pizza on the summit is great.  It’s got a learning curve, too, but the facebook group can help.  Summit pizza is very consistent and repeatable once the technique is dialed in. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2022, 06:44:34 AM »
Interestingly on the Spider FB group I asked questions about this and two stepped up and said that theirs had the lid pop off due to small internal explosion, so I guess this isn't out of the norm?  I have my refund, have exited their FB group and will toss the unit this week.  It's also worth mentioning that even if this did work flawlessly I didn't care for the constant blower noise it made.  Back to my quiet magical charcoal....

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2022, 07:07:16 AM »
It looks like you can hollow out the Spider unit and convert it into a beer cooler, for display on an unused kettle.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2022, 09:59:08 AM »

It looks like you can hollow out the Spider unit and convert it into a beer cooler, for display on an unused kettle.
Yeah, maybe but it smells like an electrical fire now and I’m fine just tossing it out and forgetting it ever existed.

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2022, 08:29:38 AM »
Interestingly on the Spider FB group I asked questions about this and two stepped up and said that theirs had the lid pop off due to small internal explosion, so I guess this isn't out of the norm?  I have my refund, have exited their FB group and will toss the unit this week.  It's also worth mentioning that even if this did work flawlessly I didn't care for the constant blower noise it made.  Back to my quiet magical charcoal....
Shhhh, don’t tell anybody the secret.
Happiness is found under the lid of a charcoal grill.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2022, 12:51:31 PM »
Bummer

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!