Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New (to me) Dark Blue SSP  (Read 332 times)

Chesapeake Weber

• WKC Brave
New (to me) Dark Blue SSP
« on: August 22, 2022, 04:50:17 PM »
Found this guy on CL a week ago and picked him up on Sunday.  Wasn’t sure how old it was from the listing, but it looked good.  Asked the seller to send a few more pics, which he happily did.  It looked even better with the additional photos, so we settled on a good price.

It is a DT code (2003). Needs to be cleaned up a bit, but just your standard grease/ash.  Barely any rust.  Worst spot is under the half moon SS piece, but some light sanding and touch up paint: we’ll be good.

Also part of the deal was a basically full gas tank.  I was expecting an old 5 lb. that I would use up and then decide whether to replace it or not.  Instead, I got a 2 year old 20 lb. Manchester tank that was full!  That was worth more than what I paid for the grill!  Not unhappy with that twist.  The seller had switched out the regulator to the current standard and it fired up on the first push.  Oh, the charcoal bucket was 2/3 full as well.

Now I need to decide what to do with him.  It’s a match color wise for the blue 2014 performer I picked up earlier this summer. So one thought I have is to swap bowls to allow the ash catcher handles on the 2014 performer to face me a little better and possibly put a newer black one in there (the orientation of the three little legs are different on each).

Second thought is to put the 26” bowl I have into the SSP frame and set it up as a Santa Maria open fire style cooker. This was @dwnthehatch’s original idea for the bowl, which I like a lot! 

The thing with both these ideas is that it separates a pretty good condition SSP, but that’s part of what we do in this club sometimes.  Once I sit on it and figure it out, I’ll share what I’m up to!   

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: New (to me) Dark Blue SSP
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 05:02:57 PM »
Beautiful, congrats!

rich

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 07:44:58 PM »
Sounds like a great deal, congrats!!

> … some light sanding and touch up paint…
Would you elaborate just a lil’ bit more about this?

Chesapeake Weber

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 04:58:51 AM »
This was the area I was referring to that might need some attention.  It’s not too bad, so we’ll see. 

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 05:18:24 AM »
grate looking SSP !
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

mattstaub

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2022, 11:44:35 AM »
Nice SSP

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2022, 12:23:00 PM »
Very nice. That will clean up nicely. A little sanding and some POR15 on the bare metal will ensure it will never rust again.

rich

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2022, 09:52:44 PM »
Cool, got it. Thanks for the pictures!

MoparProud

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2022, 10:57:32 AM »
Heck of a score!