Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ribs on the Summit Charcoal Grill  (Read 412 times)

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Ribs on the Summit Charcoal Grill
« on: July 05, 2022, 07:31:33 AM »
I took my first shot at a rack of baby back ribs on the Summit yesterday - mostly thanks to a buy one get one free sale at Publix.  Ribs were seasoned with SPG with a yellow mustard binder.  Being on low carb, we wanted salt and pepper ribs with no sauce which was actually a refreshing change from sticky saucy ribs.  I lit a pile of B&B lump with 3 chunks of apple wood buried using a tumbleweed.  Funny, I am so used to starting my charcoal that way I totally forgot about the propane lighter assist on the Summit.  I realized I did that about half way through the cook.  Ribs were really good, had to choke the vents back quite a bit to stay between 275-300F.  Wrapped at the 2 hour mark with butter pats and unwrapped at the 4 hour mark.  Cooked another hour or so foil boat style while basting with the butter often.  Sides were a broccoli salad (keto friendly), sliced tomatoes from the garden and cayenne peppers straight off the bush.  I'd recommend these to anyone wanting a break from sweet for a change.  Beaux had fun with his new splashpad while we enjoyed the day under the umbrella.  Oh, also grilled up some ball park hot dogs for lunch - plenty of room on the Summit!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 07:34:47 AM by bamakettles »

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Ribs on the Summit Charcoal Grill
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2022, 07:51:09 AM »
Looks like an awesome day !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 11:54:25 AM »
Nice ribs!   The burner tube does allow air in.  Wrap foil over the Venturi inlet.   The summit probably runs better at 275.  You really will have to choke it down to achieve very low and sow.   I’m sure the high ambient temps don’t help either.   This grill will shine in the winter or windy conditions where a kettle or wsm may struggle some. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 12:19:27 PM »
Thanks guys..... Didn't even consider air coming in through or around the lighting burner tube.  I had the bottom vent mostly shut - maybe open just a hair.  I usually try and keep my top vents open if possible for a less smoky flavor profile.  Thanks for the tip.  And yes, it was HOT yesterday which helped with keeping temps high.

My favorite things so far about the Summit center around the lid.  It's easy to open and close and the rapidfire lid damper is really nice during initial lighting of the coals and bringing up temps quickly if needed.

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2022, 03:41:12 PM »
Looks great! Summit looks like an excellent choice for ribs. Nice cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2022, 06:27:34 PM »
In my experience, you won’t be able to run the top wide open except for high heat.  Low and medium heat will require some top vent adjustment to avoid going past 400.   Weber may say you can run it like a kettle in the top grate position but it will behave more like your KJ.   There is some learning curve but it is amazing how you can dial in temps with some practice. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk