Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Very tight lid vent  (Read 315 times)

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Very tight lid vent
« on: June 01, 2022, 06:00:40 AM »
Grillfellas

I restored a yachtsman last year and much to my dismay, the lid vent was so tight, upon closing it after some use, porcelain began to flake off under the vent.  It’s clean under the vent, just very tight.  Any suggestion on how to address it?   I don’t want to take out the rivet.  I contemplated applying some cooking oil with a higher smoke point, so it wouldn’t burn off.   I don’t cook anything super high heat on it either.  I also had some porcelain flake off near the front bowl handle. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 06:25:37 AM by michaelmilitello »

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
Re: Very tight lid vent
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 11:27:05 PM »
This has been my complaint with even the new ones.The edge of the vent scrapes right through the porcelain. Ugh. Good grief.
Happiness is found under the lid of a charcoal grill.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2022, 09:23:22 AM »
This has been my complaint with even the new ones.The edge of the vent scrapes right through the porcelain. Ugh. Good grief.
Yeah, not a fan of yellow flakes.  But the grills also 47 years old and yellows are known to be a little fragile on the enamel.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2022, 09:35:25 AM »
small diameter high tensile fishing line pulled under the vent to slightly loosen her up may work
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 09:55:16 AM »
small diameter high tensile fishing line pulled under the vent to slightly loosen her up may work
Power Pro braided fishing line, any size from 15 to 60 pounds should work just fine.

I can mail you a 10 feet of PP in an envelope, if you want to try it.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2022, 05:18:44 PM »
Thanks Robert and Joe!   Yes. I’ll take some line.  Grate idea!