Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: touch up paint?  (Read 501 times)

edhodges

• Happy Cooker
touch up paint?
« on: January 17, 2022, 05:46:36 AM »
I've got some rust on my Kettle lid (late 90's Performer I) and Weber says I can't touch it up due to it being an enamel coating. Is there anything I can apply to these spots to avoid rust through? Not worried about aesthetics as much as function. Thanks!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: touch up paint?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 06:00:53 AM »
I would use a dremel metal brush wheel to gently remove the surface rust, then put canola oil on it and get it good and hot.   The oil will season the area and lessen the possibility of future rust.  Dab more oil periodically.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

edhodges

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 06:26:28 AM »
Awesome, thanks bamakettles!

kcsmokinribs

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 11:42:01 AM »
Make sure you remove the thermometer and metal piece between the two handle connections to get at all of the surface rust and all sides of the connections. I have had good success with a little high temp paint after removing the surface rust.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

AS in SA

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 03:26:19 PM »
My special edition red kettle got bumped in some recent winds.  I highly recommend this touch up paint - matches very well, at least with my kettles shade of red.  Recommended cure time was a week, but I gave it a full month.  Have cooked on it half a dozen times since and so far so good.

AS in SA

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2022, 03:27:50 PM »
Paint

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2022, 07:10:47 PM »
I think your way better off to get it hot then spray some pam or high temp oil on there.  Using wire wheels will prob end up doing more damage.  Even if you spray WD 40 on there.  the oil will soak in the rust.  As far as paint, it all eventually burns off....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X