Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: B and B Briquettes  (Read 448 times)

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
B and B Briquettes
« on: December 30, 2021, 05:17:34 PM »
My local Ace finally started carrying these (orange bag) after me asking several times.   I have to say it’s a very good coal but perhaps a little overhyped. 

My reference point to Royal Oak Chef Select (all hardwood, 30% larger than red bag ro).  Reminds me of Weber the most but only sold at food service suppliers. 

I’d say they light up at the same rate and burn equally hot.  Hot and fast is similar.   I did notice the bnb lasts a little longer (huge briq size).  More leftovers by a slight margin.  I have not tried a low and slow but I’m anticipating a longer burn time.    All non-scientific, subjective observations by the way. 

So far, slightly better performance for 40% higher price.   Good coal though!   Tough to make my daily coal for the amount of cooking I do. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: B and B Briquettes
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 05:36:30 PM »
My favorite by far…. My Ace has it for $13.99/bag, 17.6 lb bag.  Kicker is Academy Sporting Goods here has the same bags for $8.99/ bag WHEN in stock.  I watch them like a hawk and have scored up to 10 bags at a time, but after Covid it was scarce there.  Anyway, it’s my go to for most cooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Mr.Smoke

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 11:05:54 PM »
Ever since Stubbs was discontinued this has been my go to briquettes. Burns very clean and LONG.

vader

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 03:31:45 AM »
Stubbs has been rebranded, it is now called Cowboy.

GoDuke

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 04:17:07 AM »
YES! Thank you! I had been trying to source B&B for a while, and your post prompted me to check the ace website. it appears to be back in stock. Ordered 5 bags!

acast285

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 08:35:34 AM »
I scored 7 bags of B&B briquettes at Academy as well at $8.99/bag. I have been paying $13 for kingsford blue, so I thought that I would give it a chance.

Well I'm on my last bag currently and I learned that while they do burn hotter, longer. I find they don't relight as easily when using left over briquettes from your last cook. I think this is because they lose their shape after they have been lit and then cooled. And whenever you dump hot coals on top, it smashes them down almost making an ash brick and it stifles the airflow to the new hot coals.

Overall I do like them and will probably keep buying them as I find them at Academy, but I am also keeping a bag of kingsford until I find something else. @michaelmilitello I might have gove the RO Chef a shot!

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 10:23:22 AM »
I like it. I'm almost out of my 88 bags of Weber charcoal and bought a few bags of B&B to compare.  My local Ace hardware is usually $5 more expensive than everyone else for charcoal.  I only buy when on sale unless I have no other options.

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2022, 06:54:50 PM »
Our favorite briquette. Awesome for low-&-slow. These are perfect for snakes. With our 22" kettle, we can easily get 12-14 hour smokes with no coal additions. And after that, we always have a few chunks left over!

For hardwood lump, we have made the switch to Royal Oak. And we like Cowboy.
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
B and B Briquettes
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2022, 07:59:03 AM »
I did my first low and slow with the B&B briquettes.   Wow!   I used my 18 wsm to smoke an 8 pound pork shoulder.   I used about half a bag or 8 pounds of fuel.   It’s on hour 12 of the cook and it’s still running strong at 260.  I just had to open the vents a bit.  It’s been below 20 F outside the whole cook.  I’m impressed.   Amazing consistency. 

kcsmokinribs

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2022, 08:21:58 AM »
Sounds impressive! Good to know. Will need to try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2022, 10:39:45 AM »
We did a snake, and did not use anywhere near a half bag! And got a full 13 hour smoke, at 225 - 250 degrees. But it was not cold, maybe in the 50's.

2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2022, 03:24:48 PM »
We did a snake, and did not use anywhere near a half bag! And got a full 13 hour smoke, at 225 - 250 degrees. But it was not cold, maybe in the 50's.

I went 13 hours today and still had coal left.