Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ranch Kettle Smoking Tips?  (Read 279 times)

bgilbert44

• WKC Brave
Ranch Kettle Smoking Tips?
« on: October 14, 2021, 05:44:31 PM »
Hey y'all! In the near future I'm planning on experimenting by smoking Brisket on my Weber Ranch Kettle. I've never done a long smoke session on a Ranch Kettle before (with the exception of one pork shoulder and one turkey quite a while ago) so I was wondering if those who are more experienced with smoking on a Mothership can give me some pointers on things like fire management/augmentation, tips and tricks, what and what not to do, etc. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
I think I might need a bigger backyard soon...

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Ranch Kettle Smoking Tips?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 03:10:35 AM »
3x2 snake, half chimney of lit coals to start, 1 possibly 2 bottom vents open to hit your desired cook temp, top wide open and a good supply of your favorite beverage
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

bgilbert44

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 08:56:29 AM »
3x2 snake, half chimney of lit coals to start, 1 possibly 2 bottom vents open to hit your desired cook temp, top wide open and a good supply of your favorite beverage

Thank you @JEBIV!
I think I might need a bigger backyard soon...

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 09:17:02 AM »
I take a slightly different approach.  I bank my coals and use some fire bricks to have a huge cool zone.   This a recent brisket I did.   I used lit 3/4 mini chimney to start.  Once I reached my target temp of 250, I had one bottom vent open and top vent about 1/2 open.   The top vent is very effective at dialing in temps.   The ranch is fuel hungry but holds temp better than any kettle IMO. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 10:15:15 AM »
I take a slightly different approach.  I bank my coals and use some fire bricks to have a huge cool zone.   This a recent brisket I did.   I used lit 3/4 mini chimney to start.  Once I reached my target temp of 250, I had one bottom vent open and top vent about 1/2 open.   The top vent is very effective at dialing in temps.   The ranch is fuel hungry but holds temp better than any kettle IMO. 

Do you have to refuel with this method @michaelmilitello
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 11:15:31 AM »

Do you have to refuel with this method @michaelmilitello
Yes.   That’s the drawback.   I can get 7-9 hours depending on weather conditions.  However, I finish butts or brisket in the oven after wrapping.   Btu is btu at that point. 

I use the same configuration for hot and fast cooks too. 

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 05:11:38 AM »
Don't open the lid unless you really need to.  Big grill takes a while to get back up to temp.
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2021, 02:02:16 PM »
I'd recommend going heavy on the charcoal and using the vents to throttle it back.  I tried smoking on the ranch once with a 2x2 snake and it wasn't enough heat to get to temperature and stay there.