Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grill Covers - need input  (Read 244 times)

Love Grilling

• Happy Cooker
Grill Covers - need input
« on: October 04, 2021, 11:23:54 AM »
So I'm new to grilling on Weber and I already have a question about cooking grates.  I have a 22 inch Original Kettle Premium charcoal grill.  It came with a cooking grate that has an opening in the middle thus nothing can be grilled in the center.  However, this causes grilling real estate problems.  To overcome that I research two cooking grates.  Both from Amazon:

1. Weber 8835 Gourmet BBQ System Hinged Cooking Grate
2. Weber Hinged Cooking Grate Stainless Steel, 22"

Item one is more expensive but made better.  Reviews are good but the one major grip is that the center comes off easy from the hinges while grilling and cleaning
Item 2 is not made very well.  I am more inclined to get this but it won't last very long before rusting

Has anyone else had this issues?  What would you recommend?  Which number seems to best resolve my need for more grilling space?

Thanks Ya'll

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Grill Covers - need input
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 12:09:56 PM »
#1 is far higher quality than #2. I wouldn't use/buy #2 if I had the choice. The benefits of being able to remove the center section outweigh the inconvenience of it falling off when it's moved. Its useful to have the fire in the center and food around the outside for certain cooks. You may want to invest in Killa Grilla heavy SS rod grates as well: https://killagrilla.square.site/

So I'm new to grilling on Weber and I already have a question about cooking grates.  I have a 22 inch Original Kettle Premium charcoal grill.  It came with a cooking grate that has an opening in the middle thus nothing can be grilled in the center.  However, this causes grilling real estate problems.  To overcome that I research two cooking grates.  Both from Amazon:

1. Weber 8835 Gourmet BBQ System Hinged Cooking Grate
2. Weber Hinged Cooking Grate Stainless Steel, 22"

Item one is more expensive but made better.  Reviews are good but the one major grip is that the center comes off easy from the hinges while grilling and cleaning
Item 2 is not made very well.  I am more inclined to get this but it won't last very long before rusting

Has anyone else had this issues?  What would you recommend?  Which number seems to best resolve my need for more grilling space?

Thanks Ya'll
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 12:12:58 PM by pbe gummi bear »
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Love Grilling

• Happy Cooker
Re: Grill Covers - need input
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 02:27:44 PM »
Thank you for your input.  Also, thank for the link...I will take a look at it.