Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Restoration SSP  (Read 364 times)

Bisquick1

• Happy Cooker
Restoration SSP
« on: August 19, 2021, 07:32:27 AM »
Hi - We have an old red SSP - the performer with the stainless steel table - absolutely love it!  But the ash catcher and interior flapper doodles that control airflow are broken........we were looking for someone in the Northern Maryland, Southern PA area that restores or repairs these.  I would be heartbroken to give it up just because we're repair numbnuts......

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Restoration SSP
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 07:43:48 AM »
Welcome from Doraville, Ga. I am sure we have a member close that may be able to help out, it's a 15 minute job with the parts on hand
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 08:51:53 AM »
Welcome from Huntsville, AL...  Don't give up on that beauty, it certainly can be fixed.  Hopefully someone in that area can assist or point you in the right direction.

Bisquick1

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 08:55:53 AM »
Thanks JEBIV!  Keeping my fingers crossed.......

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 10:27:09 AM »
Hello and welcome.  I will donate a BNIB set of 7409 stainless steel sweepers to replace your “flapper doodles”.  Just PM me.

Any local grillfellas willing to help out?  You know what they say about Kettle Karma….

Bisquick1

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2021, 10:46:27 AM »
Dear Mr.CPHo - I'm still laughing!  You're very generous - we actually have a new set of "flapper doodles" aka sweepers.  My hubbie can't get the nut loose to replace them - he wants to saw it off, I want to spray it with a rust release product.  And the ring that holds the ash catcher has become detached.  I'm afraid the whole thing will be some sort of Rube Goldberg contraption.  He means well.......but his forte is language, not mechanical.  This ssp is old enough that it has a kettle with the ports for 3 legs - I don't know if that means anything or not.

ps - I have no clue how to PM someone.......lol

teejhanson

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2021, 10:57:44 AM »
I have a very nice green kettle from an old SSP if you want it. Let me know if your interested. I also have a bunch of SS hardware if you want to replace the old stuff on the frame. I’d be happy to send those as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2021, 11:05:35 AM »
Since said flapper doodles are already broken, no need to save them or the nut.  I suggest flip the bowl over to cut the handle that goes through the nut as flush as possible to the nut, and then gently tap it through the washer and bowl.    The remnants of the sweeper assembly should fall through. 

bear

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2021, 11:45:47 AM »
Flapper Doodles
Lol

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2021, 11:55:22 AM »
flapper doodles needs to be added to the library, I will be calling them that from now on LOL
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Bisquick1

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2021, 12:14:43 PM »
wow - this is the RIGHT place to be!  My husband will be happy to hear he's right (lol).  We'll try that and I'll try to identify correctly what else is needed. 

Bisquick1

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2021, 12:19:18 PM »
ps - figured out how to PM........

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2021, 03:57:56 PM »
@Bisquick1 I'm pretty sure I have a newer version  ring and bucket to assist

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Bisquick1

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2021, 06:44:11 AM »

What does a newer version mean?  Easier to attach?  Sorry I don't know the technical implications.......

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2021, 06:56:19 AM »

What does a newer version mean?  Easier to attach?  Sorry I don't know the technical implications.......
the ring attaches to the kettle with tabs that go in under the leg sockets, no tools required