Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vortex cooking  (Read 557 times)

brucemcclure

• Smokey Joe
    • My company's website
Vortex cooking
« on: June 28, 2021, 02:25:13 AM »
Sooo....I bought a Vortex as I've watched a few of the recommended videos and it seems to be an easy way to make really good wings on the grill. Does anyone have any good advice to give in regards to using it? I suppose my only question to begin is just how much heat can my performer's kettle handle? Is this little gadget going to hurt the longevity of my grill?
I’m just happy to be here. Hope I can help the ball club. I just want to give it my best shot, and the good Lord willing, things will work out.

Transit98

• WKC Brave
Re: Vortex cooking
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 03:29:49 AM »
The handle will be fine. Might get to hot to touch. I use the metal tongs or a t shirt to open up the top when she’s hot.

Enjoy it. It does make great wings.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 04:03:19 AM »
The high heat won't hurt your grill. It is rather hard on your grates though. That's where the gourmet grill is an option. Better yet find a good 304 stainless steel grate. Vortex aint gonna hurt that thing.

Rule #1. Never reach across the vortex. That is if you value your arm hair.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Vortex cooking
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 07:46:27 AM »
I've always used my vortex with my gourmet grill grate with the center removed - never a problem.  The lid does get pretty hot, so I always use my red limited edition with taco handle which allows me to lift and adjust the lid without hot gloves.  The kettle can take the heat, no problem - probably better than a banked pizza method. 

As far as the wings, thighs or drumsticks - I get them nice and dry then give them a quick spritz of canola and whatever seasoning we want.  We love It's Incredible seasoning on chicken which is available on line or comparable at the grocery store is Morton's Nature's Seasons which I grind a little more with the mortar and pestle.  I don't flip my chicken during the cook, never had to.  Just position it around the circumference and go.  Lump seems to work best for me, full chimney fully lit.  I do rotate the lid every 15 mins or so - 12:00, 3:00, 6:00 and so on.  Not sure if that's necessary, but I do it to try to keep the cooking temps even around the grate.  I usually go 35 - 45 mins depending on the condition of the skin, trying not to overcook which I have done once.  Kettle KFC is another fun thing to try and it's amazing!  Lower pictures are chicken legs cooked with Kentucky Kernel flour with a little baking powder and a hint of Everglades Fish and Chicken seasoning.  Everglades is pretty salty, so you have to go sparingly. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 08:08:21 AM by bamakettles »

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 07:49:52 AM »

The high heat won't hurt your grill. It is rather hard on your grates though. That's where the gourmet grill is an option. Better yet find a good 304 stainless steel grate. Vortex aint gonna hurt that thing.

Rule #1. Never reach across the vortex. That is if you value your arm hair.

You won’t forget rule number one after the first time you reach across . Holy crap that thing is toasty . But yes the vortex is the best for wings IMO. Nice and crispy and juicy on the inside . I smoked some wings a couple weeks ago and like the vortex much much better .

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 10:36:08 AM »
But don't sell the V short by only using it as a chicken cooker.
It works equally well on pork chops, meatballs! roasted potatoes, etc...
Only limited by your imagination.

Bacon wrapped pork tenderloin. Before and after sauce.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2021, 10:46:00 AM »
I use my poortex for drums, wings, thighs, breasts, pork chops, potatoes and more. I never use the gbs grate. I use an Adrenaline bbq stainless grate in my 22"s and a standard stainless grate in my 26er. Both look great after at least three years of use.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2021, 01:00:27 PM »
I haven’t used mine in a long time. I’ll have to get it back out. I’ve not noticed any damage to grates. Maybe if I used it more often?  Either way I like to use a normal grate because you get a lot more real estate around the v versus using a gbs grate.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2021, 01:29:24 PM »
I haven’t used mine in a long time. I’ll have to get it back out. I’ve not noticed any damage to grates. Maybe if I used it more often?  Either way I like to use a normal grate because you get a lot more real estate around the v versus using a gbs grate.

I rarely use mine anymore because I felt so "uninvolved" in the cooking process. Might as well use a pellet grill and take a nap while the food cooks.

I quit using my GBS grate for the same reason. I just lost too much room for food.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2021, 04:59:57 PM »
Funny, all this vortex chatter, and one year ago today was my first shot at it.  Apparently it’s not for everyone…. I enjoy using it and look forward to many more cooks using it.  Good luck, OP with your first cook.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2021, 05:14:50 PM »
Funny, all this vortex chatter, and one year ago today was my first shot at it.  Apparently it’s not for everyone…. I enjoy using it and look forward to many more cooks using it.  Good luck, OP with your first cook.

You'll never hear me say bad things about the V.
It's just that I'm a stickburner at heart and dont love cooks like the snake and any other thing that leaves me out of the equation.

watkinsb87

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2021, 05:28:00 PM »

It's just that I'm a stickburner at heart and dont love cooks like the snake and any other thing that leaves me out of the equation.

I like those methods because whenever I insert myself in the equation I usually screw it up.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2021, 06:42:07 PM »

I’m an anti snake guy as well.  I don’t know why exactly, except that maybe the tons of posts on FB… snake this, snake that.  I don’t bank charcoal on my beauties to try and preserve the porcelain, except for my red LE which is my kettle pizza and vortex default grill.  I would love to try a stick burner some day when I have time to try it.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2021, 02:30:06 AM »

Not to worry…if you are a stick-burner with a traditional smoker and perhaps offset firebox, you have plenty of opportunity for “hands on” involvement. Babysitting the smoke and temperature constantly. You will be a fire manager more than a cook. Or maybe they are the same thing.

Nothing like the simple ease and worry free snake method. I’m shocked at the results! Simply stunning. My neighbors will never go to a BBQ restaurant again after having my smoked Imperial Wagyu Brisket…on the snake!
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2021, 02:31:13 AM »
But don't sell the V short by only using it as a chicken cooker.
It works equally well on pork chops, meatballs! roasted potatoes, etc...
Only limited by your imagination.

Bacon wrapped pork tenderloin. Before and after sauce.

That looks awesome? Bacon wrapped filets?
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest