Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: White Smoke using the snake method  (Read 441 times)

watkinsb87

• WKC Brave
White Smoke using the snake method
« on: June 25, 2021, 07:51:04 AM »
I’ve been using the snake method for long cooks since buying my Weber (and then shortly after buying another because they are addicting) and it’s resulted in some awesome food, but every once in a while I look out on the patio and thick white smoke is pouring out. Any of you have tips to help minimize this? Wood chunk placement, size etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
Re: White Smoke using the snake method
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 08:41:15 AM »
So…my question is, what causes white smoke? Most of my smokes on my kettles have had whitish smoke. Is white smoke bad? My food tastes really good from the kettles.

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 09:12:24 AM »
White smoke equals dirty smoke. The smoke you see should be very light, whitish blue in color. The less smoke you see, the better.
Thick white smoke is an indicator that you are not getting a clean burn, and you need more oxygen intake into the kettle.
This means you will have to burn a hotter fire.
The worst smoke is that thick, white smoke, with a tint of yellow or gray. You do not want that on your food.

All of my snake method smokes have resulted in very little smoke, and the smoke that appears is blue, not white.

I only use B&B charcoal, and good quality hardwood (Oak / Hickory) for smoking on the kettle.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 10:19:48 AM by TXFlyGuy »
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

watkinsb87

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 10:28:26 AM »
I was hoping WKC’s resident snake master would chime in. Thanks for the info, I’ll get a hotter fire going to start. I’ve been having trouble locating B&B briquettes in the Dallas area (I do buy their lump which is awesome) but I’ll keep looking.

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 01:27:27 PM »
Ace hardware and Kroger both carry it, easy to find in the area. Lewisville, Justin, Sanger, Denton, etc.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 02:12:25 PM »
I believe you get the best smoke if the wood is buried under unlit charcoal in a minion method cook.   If I run a snake, I’ve started to put a briq or two on top of the wood chunks. 

However, if you have some white smoke and you and your family like the flavor of your food, roll with it. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2021, 02:41:39 AM »
Just saw a video side-by-side comparison. The white smoke BBQ vs clean smoke. They said the white smoked chicken tasted just like sticking your head in a camp fire. Not good at all. This was done using 2 kettles.

Transit98

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2021, 06:03:46 AM »
I often see white smoke when I toss large chunks of wood on top of lump charcoal. It’s fine. It’s just the wood combusting/ catching fire. It will even out with a little time.

I’m also from the school of not opening the lid to look a lot. As long as the white smoke is not a steak or chicken skin burning over direct coals your fine.

Remember we are long using big, long offset smokers. The area is small. So a piece of chunk wood catching fire when using the snake method will show some smoke. Don’t worry. Have a drink enjoy the cook and prepare to feast [emoji899] [emoji491]

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2021, 03:57:07 PM »
I'm not sure exactly what color you'd call this smoke (sorry its not a Webber), but its what I've smoked over successfully for ever.

watkinsb87

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2021, 04:07:55 PM »

I often see white smoke when I toss large chunks of wood on top of lump charcoal. It’s fine. It’s just the wood combusting/ catching fire. It will even out with a little time.

I’m also from the school of not opening the lid to look a lot. As long as the white smoke is not a steak or chicken skin burning over direct coals your fine.

Remember we are long using big, long offset smokers. The area is small. So a piece of chunk wood catching fire when using the snake method will show some smoke. Don’t worry. Have a drink enjoy the cook and prepare to feast [emoji899] [emoji491]

As the snake progressed it definitely got better and the pork butt was fantastic. It just seemed to produce more white smoke than usual. Thanks everyone for the tips!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2021, 07:39:29 AM »
White smoke, blue smoke, green smoke….wood and charcoal, produce smoke….I’m not in the mood to scientifically break down smoke molecules. I use charcoal with wood chunks, or pellets. The food always tastes great. So…live long and prosper…eat bbq.

watkinsb87

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2021, 08:26:25 AM »

White smoke, blue smoke, green smoke….wood and charcoal, produce smoke….I’m not in the mood to scientifically break down smoke molecules. I use charcoal with wood chunks, or pellets. The food always tastes great. So…live long and prosper…eat bbq.

If it tastes great that’s all that really matters. Just trying to get better at the craft. I enjoy your Smokefire cooks! Keep em coming!

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2021, 08:55:51 AM »
Exactly.

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2021, 02:47:55 PM »
Lots of info on smoke, good smoke and bad smoke, on YouTube. The bottom line is the pit masters (Mad Scientist, A. Franklin, etc.) say you really don’t want to see the smoke. You should only see heat waves.

watkinsb87

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2021, 03:54:31 PM »
Got some B and B Briquettes (had to go to the Ace in Richardson, the one in Plano is trash) and I may never use another brand of charcoal again. Burns clean, hot, and has a great smell while burning.