Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First grilled pizza in twenty years  (Read 5405 times)

Farace

• Smokey Joe
First grilled pizza in twenty years
« on: June 02, 2021, 01:46:10 PM »
I just made my first grilled pizza in twenty years, and the first time I have used a stone on the grill rather than the method detailed in Weber’s book, of putting the dough directly onto the grate and cooking both sides before adding toppings.

I used store-bought dough, and toppings were Muir Glen Fire-Roasted crushed tomatoes to which I added fresh minced garlic, ground black pepper, and dried basil. I sprinkled homegrown dried oregano over the top, along with olive oil, grated Romano, and—because we discovered we were unexpectedly out of mozz—sliced provolone. It didn’t come out to New Haven standards, but it was quite good and I learned a few things. Once I get my technique down, I’m going to attempt a New Haven-style white clam pie. (I’ve already been scouting out littlenecks.)

Transit98

• WKC Brave
Re: First grilled pizza in twenty years
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 02:52:20 PM »
Looks great! Enjoy [emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Transit98

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 02:52:52 PM »
By the way I also love clam pizza

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 03:09:17 PM »
Looks amazing, nice job!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Farace

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 03:39:16 PM »
It was good, but I must do better, or else the ghost of my great-grandmother Trofimena will come down and whack me with a wooden spoon. :) According to what my grandfather told me, after they arrived in New Haven from Italy in 1916, she used to make apizza in her kitchen and send my grandfather out into the streets to sell them, before Frank Pepe opened his famous pizzeria.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 03:55:37 PM »
Very cool…..my wife is second generation Italian American and her Mamalina (grandmother) made pizza with olive oil, sardines and shaved Parmesan ONLY.  More of a Sicilian style being from Sicily.  It’s the only way some of her uncles would eat or make pizza.  I’ve never had it this way, but I would try it if she decided to make it.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2021, 04:11:42 AM »
Pizza looks good, and from personal history wooden spoons wielded by Italian grandmothers hurt !
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill