Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle Repair  (Read 636 times)

Nasoj21

• Smokey Joe
Kettle Repair
« on: May 17, 2021, 09:28:34 PM »
I found a really good deal on a ranch Kettle..... but looking close at the pictures makes me realize there is a big hole in the bowl.
If that is the case, how could I go about repairing it?
Is there a high heat Bondo type material?

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Kettle Repair
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 02:35:29 AM »
Holy cow, how did that happen ? Maybe rivet or bolt in a piece of steel for the repair, the ranch doesn't get as hot as the smaller kettles so it should hold up just fine, some high heat liquid steel to seal it up around the edges
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 03:53:59 AM »
It’s hard to tell from the picture.   How large is the hole?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raindog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 05:34:50 AM »
I found a really good deal on a ranch Kettle..... but looking close at the pictures makes me realize there is a big hole in the bowl.
If that is the case, how could I go about repairing it?
Is there a high heat Bondo type material?

Not seeing a charcoal grate. Maybe hot coals directly on bowl destroyed?

Nasoj21

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 06:21:07 AM »
Yeah. I haven't seen it person. I had to look at the pictures several times to realize it is a whole. The add says some rust.
I missed the lack of a charcoal grate.
It's only $200 so I will pick it up and see what I can do.

Raindog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 07:33:21 AM »
Yeah. I haven't seen it person. I had to look at the pictures several times to realize it is a whole. The add says some rust.
I missed the lack of a charcoal grate.
It's only $200 so I will pick it up and see what I can do.

I would have grabbed it too. Post some more pics when you get it  :)

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 07:51:43 AM »
I don’t think there’s a fix for that. Damage looks really bad. It might be a case for a donor. The cost of fabricating a section could run up the total cost past the good deal territory.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 10:38:43 AM »
I would just cut a round hole in the bottom and use it for high heat cooks and searing. You might be able to drop a spare 18 or 22 lid into the hole upside down and add some extra vents to the lid to get similar function. You would just need to measure it very carefully so the lip on the lid would catch on the hole.

You just need to find someone with a grave yard of parts.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Nasoj21

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2021, 10:51:07 AM »
I was thinking about a piece of metal bent into shape then using a high heat apoxy or Bondo type material to fix it into place.

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2021, 11:58:05 AM »
I vote cut it bigger to get rid of the rust and patch with, stainless steel, or if anyone has a trashed 26er bowl might be able to repurpose the vent area to make a one touch system or maybe 2 sweeps for a 2 touch system.

This would be a fun mutant machine to play with.

Great pickup

Sent from my SM-N986U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow

leeharvey418

• WKC Brave
2020 26" OKP; 2006 Q 200 Silver; 1997 Red Mist SSP; 2000 22” Plum OTG; and I'm gonna call it a 1975 Smokey Joe

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2021, 09:39:43 AM »
If it is super cheap, that top grate should be stainless steel.  So, you might grab it for parts if it is cheap enough.  Then, measure the hole & see if you can do what some suggested about cutting a circular hole & putting a lid upside-down in it's place. 

If you are lazy, look for a place that sells (or uses) SS sheet metal & try to buy a scrap piece larger than the hole.  Put it on the bottom & place some bricks on the edges to hold it in place and then just use it.  Better yet, keep an eye out on craigslist & whatnot for someone throwing away something made from thin walled SS that looks to be large enough to cover the hole (maybe the back of a gasser that has a cabinet underneath).
regards,
Hal

Nasoj21

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2021, 10:30:48 AM »
Looking for a gas grill that someone has out for scrap is a great idea. I will try that. Just about to pick it up now. There are actually two, but my brother is getting one. I am getting them both for $175. I will make a post about it tomorrow with pictures and keep it updated as I try to repair it.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2021, 01:21:20 PM »
Offer $100
Sell the grates, lid and ash pan
Use the proceeds to buy a 26.75” OTG and modify the frame to make a Mini Ranch
and you’re money ahead

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!