Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: need some help with Weber Performer  (Read 339 times)

TomC

• Happy Cooker
need some help with Weber Performer
« on: May 25, 2021, 03:18:07 PM »
I received a like new Performer grill with the touch-and-go gas ignition for lighting the charcoal from my cousin when her husband suddenly passed.  Came with everything, like cover, owners manual, and tank fill adapter...plus a full tank of gas.  I finally got around to using it for the second time in several years to do some pastrami smoking this weekend.  Turned out excellent, although I need a bit of work on regulating vents for temperature.  Grill works perfect and ignites the charcoal just as it says in the manual.  My concern is what happens when the tank runs out of propane.  It is a 5lb tank with the new type ODP valve and I do have the adapter to fill it.  This tank has the 1/4" quick connect fitting and attaches to a male 1/4" quick connect fitting at the regulator in the grill.  I'm concerned I may not be able to get the tank filled because of date certification, even though the tank is in excellent condition.  If I can't get it filled what are my options?  I contacted Weber about using a 20lb tank/hose hookup and they suggested a hose that has a 1lb connector on the end opposite the tank hookup.  Obviously that will not fit the male 1/4" quick connect fitting coming out of the regulator in the grill.  I was able to find a hose with the acme hookup for the tank and a 1/4" quick connect on the other end, BUT it has a regulator on it.  My understanding is this might be a problem, since there is already a regulator in the grill.  I have spent several hours looking for some type of hose and or fittings that might work, but to no avail.  Any suggestions from anyone as I'm sure someone has experienced this problem before?  Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. 

Kneab

• WKC Performer
Re: need some help with Weber Performer
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 03:40:15 PM »
Most propane distributors will just test and recertify your existing tank for a small fee. I have had a few re-certified for about $5 and about $7-8 for a fill if I remember right.
And welcome to the Wkc [emoji2321]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

TomC

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 04:29:21 PM »
Thanks for the tip.  I'll check with some of the distributors in my area.  I prefer to continue using the 5lb tank if I can.

TomC

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 10:52:50 AM »
If I can find a place that would recertify my existing 5lb tank for that much........I'd surely go for your suggestion.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 11:28:08 AM »
They shouldn't charge too much to do it. They will make money when you come back for refills. And when you recommend them to other people.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 05:28:09 PM »
If you they have any mom & pop places where propane is all they do, that is a good bet.  Big places that just fill them, along with selling all sorts of unrelated stuff, will probably not have someone who is certified to do it.  Easiest thing is to call around first & price check while you are at it.

There is a local place in Niles, IL that will recertify free with a fill up.  I did it with one of the 5 gallon tanks & it cost me just $5 plus change for a fill up (including tax) and the free recertification. 

If I can find a place that would recertify my existing 5lb tank for that much........I'd surely go for your suggestion.
regards,
Hal