Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Fixing rivet handle  (Read 251 times)

teejhanson

• WKC Brave
Fixing rivet handle
« on: May 04, 2021, 11:59:49 AM »
I am trying to decide the best way to fix this handle. The handle itself is in good shape and the rivets are intact, but the bottom of the handle comes off the rivet. I have never encountered this problem before and was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to fix it. Do I need to replace the whole handle, glue, etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: Fixing rivet handle
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 12:11:36 PM »
I’ve seen this.  I cut the rivets out and used very small stainless screws and nuts to hold it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 10:14:53 AM »
Back in college, I used JB weld to plug up a hole on a motorcycle engine that was leaking oil.
If I was being lazy & didn't want to deal with removing the old rivets, I'd probably put clamp or tie the bottom piece on & then add a bit of JB weld to the current rivet and glop it on a bit over the wood to basically try replacing the rivet head portion that holds it on.  You might look through one of the other somewhat recent threads asking for tips on fixing a red grill that someone acquired, where @Foster Dahlet mentions using some other high heat stuff on the outside of one of his bowls before.
But, @michaelmilitello's suggestion is probably a better long term fix. 
regards,
Hal

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 01:00:52 PM »
A jewel like that deserves a new Zavodd44 handle IMO.