Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Why no smoke ring?  (Read 802 times)

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Why no smoke ring?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2021, 10:08:42 AM »
Alright, I can't resist...... I triple dog ditto!

Babekyu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2021, 10:16:45 AM »
More than you ever wanted to know about smoke rings is here.  But there is a section about how to get better smoke rings on your meat.

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/mythbusting-smoke-ring-no-smoke-necessary

Thank you.  That's great information!

I’m not sure smoke ring size correlates with smoke flavor. 

I’ve heard it said the smoke is just another instrument in the bbq orchestra

That's an interesting analogy.

Add a water pan - The damp warm air helps. What matters though is you enjoy the cook and the eat!

Good point!  and yes, my water pan had plenty of water in it.

@Babekyu I also have issues with smoke ring formation and it's driving me nuts. I'm having the same issue with different charcoals, woods, rubs, and cookers. Do you rub the meat the night before? I always let my rub sit overnight and I've wondering if that prohibits my smoke ring.

I did not season the meat the night before.  I got up at 4 am, trimmed the meat, then seasoned, all the while, preparing the WSM.

I'm trying to think of the things I did differently from my other cooks, especially my one other brisket cook where I had a decent smoke ring (found here: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=46425.0):
Different charcoal.
- I used Kingsford Professional Briquets (Briquettes?) instead of Kingsford Original Charcoal.
     -- I actually bought these by mistake.
Rubbed with coarse salt and black pepper vs. the other time where I used SPG and a Weber BBQ seasoning.
Began spritzing later in the cook.
- two and a half hours in vs. one hour (then every 30 minutes).
     -- I delayed the initial spritz to achieve a better bark.
Spritzing solution consisted of apple cider vinegar and water vs. apple cider vinegar and apple juice.
Wrapped in tin foil at 165 degrees vs. not wrapping at all.
Different quality of meat all together.
- This brisket was purchased at Costco (USDA Prime) vs. my other one that I bought at my local butcher (possibly Angus).

It honestly sounds like the reason for no smoke ring could be any of the above, or none, or something completely different!

I'm obviously over analyzing this, when in fact I shouldn't be. Like others have stated, the end result was delicious and everyone enjoyed it.  But like I stated earlier, it's my curiosity kicking in, and I'd like to be consistent. 

**To the point about the meat being cold, is it acceptable to trim the brisket and put it back in the refrigerator the night before, so all you need to do in the morning is season it?

Thank you all.

PS - Ya'll are too funny with all the dittoing, lol.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 10:19:39 AM by Babekyu »
Weber Spirit Gasser/Weber Kettle 22" Black (AA-2011)/Weber Performer Black/Weber SS Performer Red Mist (EE-1999)/26" Master Touch Smoke Grey/Weber Smokey Mountain 22" Black - 3"casters/unknown bbq hinge/lavalock vent handles (4) - Sold

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2021, 10:52:02 AM »
Alright, I can't resist...... I triple dog ditto!

haha.  gotta love the Christmas Story reference.
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2021, 10:59:48 AM »
More than you ever wanted to know about smoke rings is here.  But there is a section about how to get better smoke rings on your meat.

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/mythbusting-smoke-ring-no-smoke-necessary

Thank you.  That's great information!

I’m not sure smoke ring size correlates with smoke flavor. 

I’ve heard it said the smoke is just another instrument in the bbq orchestra

That's an interesting analogy.

Add a water pan - The damp warm air helps. What matters though is you enjoy the cook and the eat!

Good point!  and yes, my water pan had plenty of water in it.

@Babekyu I also have issues with smoke ring formation and it's driving me nuts. I'm having the same issue with different charcoals, woods, rubs, and cookers. Do you rub the meat the night before? I always let my rub sit overnight and I've wondering if that prohibits my smoke ring.

I did not season the meat the night before.  I got up at 4 am, trimmed the meat, then seasoned, all the while, preparing the WSM.

I'm trying to think of the things I did differently from my other cooks, especially my one other brisket cook where I had a decent smoke ring (found here: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=46425.0):
Different charcoal.
- I used Kingsford Professional Briquets (Briquettes?) instead of Kingsford Original Charcoal.
     -- I actually bought these by mistake.
Rubbed with coarse salt and black pepper vs. the other time where I used SPG and a Weber BBQ seasoning.
Began spritzing later in the cook.
- two and a half hours in vs. one hour (then every 30 minutes).
     -- I delayed the initial spritz to achieve a better bark.
Spritzing solution consisted of apple cider vinegar and water vs. apple cider vinegar and apple juice.
Wrapped in tin foil at 165 degrees vs. not wrapping at all.
Different quality of meat all together.
- This brisket was purchased at Costco (USDA Prime) vs. my other one that I bought at my local butcher (possibly Angus).

It honestly sounds like the reason for no smoke ring could be any of the above, or none, or something completely different!

I'm obviously over analyzing this, when in fact I shouldn't be. Like others have stated, the end result was delicious and everyone enjoyed it.  But like I stated earlier, it's my curiosity kicking in, and I'd like to be consistent. 

**To the point about the meat being cold, is it acceptable to trim the brisket and put it back in the refrigerator the night before, so all you need to do in the morning is season it?

Thank you all.

PS - Ya'll are too funny with all the dittoing, lol.

Don't give up on the prime; that should not be the reason why there was no smoke ring.  Yes, you can trim and then refrigerate.  I don't spritz at all.  But, in the amazing rib article it sounds like more moisture is a good thing for more smoke adhesion.  So, maybe spritz sooner if you are going to spritz.  Wrapping in foil should not be a problem, so long as the bark is set, whatever temp you wrap at.  I assume you did the scratch test before wrapping? 
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Babekyu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2021, 12:17:54 PM »
Quote from: Foster Dahlet
I assume you did the scratch test before wrapping?

I did not!  I guess I forgot, but the bark looked 'set', and it was at my target temperature of 165 degrees (I read somewhere that 165 degrees is the temperature to wrap it). In fact, I had a piece of hickory underneath the brisket, sort of tipping it up on its side to prevent any pooling of moisture, which may have inhibited bark formation in that area.  I will remember the scratch test for next time for sure.  And I will go back to spritzing earlier.

Thank you.
Weber Spirit Gasser/Weber Kettle 22" Black (AA-2011)/Weber Performer Black/Weber SS Performer Red Mist (EE-1999)/26" Master Touch Smoke Grey/Weber Smokey Mountain 22" Black - 3"casters/unknown bbq hinge/lavalock vent handles (4) - Sold

22ket~tle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2021, 07:26:30 PM »
sorry if I missed it but what pit temps are you cooking at ?  I have never not had a good smoke ring on a brisket - more or less sure,but always definitive.  usually shoot for 225-250   I never spritz, but do use a half full pan of water below which also acts as a drip pan and rub/scratch to make sure the bark is set before wrapping. Good Luck on the next one [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Babekyu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2021, 03:37:57 AM »
sorry if I missed it but what pit temps are you cooking at ?  I have never not had a good smoke ring on a brisket - more or less sure,but always definitive.  usually shoot for 225-250   I never spritz, but do use a half full pan of water below which also acts as a drip pan and rub/scratch to make sure the bark is set before wrapping. Good Luck on the next one [emoji106]

My temps were mostly between 240 and 260 degrees F.  I should probably shoot for a bit lower moving forward.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Why no smoke ring?
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2021, 04:10:34 AM »

My temps were mostly between 240 and 260 degrees F.  I should probably shoot for a bit lower moving forward.

I’m normally cooking between 275-300 and still get smoke ring so not sure temp is critical. I’ll spritz once or twice or sometimes none.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2021, 07:46:49 AM »
Maybe something in your meat prep is sealing the surface before the smoke can penetrate?
I use dry rubs or sauces/marinades but the meat is always moist while cooking. I find that even just a pump spray with apple juice, or diluted vinegar is a big help. It seems to give the smoke "something to stick to" on the meat.