Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hunsaker Stainless Steel Grate  (Read 640 times)

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
Hunsaker Stainless Steel Grate
« on: April 14, 2021, 05:21:14 PM »
I have stainless grates on my 26er (stock Weber), and on my OKP (killa grilla).  Now that I have a Statesman in my family, I will move my SnS+ to the Statesman.  I will likely move the killa grilla onto it too.  This means I needed a new grate for the OKP...I wanted stainless steel, but did not need bells and whistles.  Enter Hunsaker, who has a 21.5 in grate, no flip ups, but stainless, for something like $60 plus tax, and.....wait for it..........free shipping.  The whole thing was around $66.  Done.  It is well built and I am happy.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 05:38:06 PM by Foster Dahlet »
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

blu082003

• WKC Brave
Hunsaker Stainless Steel Grate
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 05:53:19 PM »
I was just looking at that. I love all my other hunsaker products (wsm upgrade, 2 griddles) it was this or the sns which also has free shipping and around the same price. How would you compare to your killa grilla

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
Re: Hunsaker Stainless Steel Grate
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 06:51:02 PM »
Killa Grilla is a beast.  It is the heaviest gauge compared to any of its competitors and it is my favorite grate, hands down.  But I didn't need another KG for a grill that is not going to be a daily driver.  SnS grates are nice, but I think it is $75.  Hunsaker is $60, made in USA,  and the grate is high quality.  So I opted for that one

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 04:15:17 AM »
Hunsaker did start selling a SS 26" grate with a removable center.  I am not sure how well it fits with Webers accessories, but those who use the vortex quite a bit might enjoy it.  I might be mistaken, but it could be the only center removable SS grate from a reputable source at the moment.

https://www.hunsakersmokers.com/collections/kettle-upgrades-mods/products/premium-stainless-steel-food-grate-for-26
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 05:22:10 AM »
Hunsaker did start selling a SS 26" grate with a removable center.  I am not sure how well it fits with Webers accessories, but those who use the vortex quite a bit might enjoy it.  I might be mistaken, but it could be the only center removable SS grate from a reputable source at the moment.

https://www.hunsakersmokers.com/collections/kettle-upgrades-mods/products/premium-stainless-steel-food-grate-for-26
That's pretty sweet looking
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Robert

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 06:07:49 AM »

I'm liking that.  May have to order one of those as most of my cooks are with the Vortex.  Plus Mark is a really great guy too.  Very customer oriented.

Thanks for posting the link.

Robert

29tx

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 04:19:21 PM »
Does Hunsaker offer any grates for the older 26er's? Does anyone know where to get a charcoal grate for the old 26ers as well?

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 05:38:06 PM »
@29tx
Killa Grilla is the only one I recall that currently makes one that fits the vintage 26" Webers.  They are SS and the least expensive version is $120, but everyone that has them say they use the thickest bar stock and make a great product.

I don't remember the brand, but there was a brand that made a chrome plated steel slightly smaller grate a number of years ago that fit the vintage Weber 26.  Some people bought a bunch when they were eventually clearanced out.  If you can't find a thread on it, I'll look it up.  I ran across one listed locally for a reasonable price last year, but didn't buy it.

Something to be aware of.  The vintage ones take a slightly smaller diameter grate.  The reason for this is that the grate tabs sat lower in the bowl (thus in an area with a slightly smaller diameter) than the current bowls where the tabs were raised so the grates are further from the coals.  I bought a Chief a number of years ago & the guy had a vintage grate, but made a ring out of expanded steel mesh that he placed on the tabs to hold the old grate higher up away from the coals because he mostly used it for smoking. 

Eventually, I stumbled across someone who listed (somewhat locally) a new Weber grate from a new 26.  He did not list it as SS and did not appear to be aware it was SS and only asked $25.  So, I arranged to buy it when I was picking something else up in that direction.  I use it on top of that expanded metal ring that I have sitting on the tabs.  Just thought I'd mention it because, depending on what you will use it for, you could go with a standard size and save a couple bucks.  If you are willing to pony up for a Killa Grilla grate, you could still raise it for smoking and set it lower for some better grill sear marks on steaks, etc when it is closer to the coals.  (Damn, I'm almost convincing myself and I really don't want to spend $120 on a grate). 
regards,
Hal

Cellar2ful

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 07:19:35 PM »
Does Hunsaker offer any grates for the older 26er's? Does anyone know where to get a charcoal grate for the old 26ers as well?

Weber still sells both cooking and charcoal grates for the vintage 26" kettles.  You have to call Weber Customer Service  (800-446-1071) to order them as they do not show on their web site. The cooking grate measures 24.4" for the vintage 26"ers as the grate straps are positioned/welded lower on the bowl than the current 26" model kettles.

The part #'s are:

charcoal grate - #66911

cooking grate - #66910
"Chasing Classic Kettles"