Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Red Limited Edition  (Read 311 times)

bthorn9435

• WKC Brave
Weber Red Limited Edition
« on: March 31, 2021, 06:06:19 PM »
When they first launched these, I read so many bad reviews I didn't get one. It was my understanding that
the later ones were improved. Do you think Weber will ever do another run like this in the near future? I would
have loved to own one and have hopes they will. I had planned on modding it to the Gen 2 Performer. 
2013 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain, 2007 Gen2 Performer w/Deep Ocean Blue Kettle Mod
68-70 Patent Pending 22.5 Daisy Wheel Red. 2021 Deep Ocean Blue Master Touch. 2013 22.5 Black One Touch Gold
2021 Ivory Smokey Joe

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weber Red Limited Edition
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 07:56:05 PM »
If they made good money and believe more money is to be made. they will do it again at some point.  It is a business, after all.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 03:55:41 AM »
I would keep your eye out on Facebook. They frequently come up for sale in the $75 (dirty and used) to $100-$150 like new or new in box. 

For the most part there was not any major issues, but the porcelain coverage was kinda sloppy and thin around holes and handles that might cause problems down the line. It was also clearly visible on inspection.  The cause of this is that it was outsourced to China for the porcelain spray and hopefully will never be done again.

I have purchased a new in box Spring Green and Glen Blue directly from Weber and the porcelain coverage was significantly better.  About the only place you will see light or no coverage is maybe underneath the bottom grate strap because it is just a pain to get a good spray without a lot of runs in the porcelain.  While runs on the interior of the kettle doesn't bother me, too much could cause issues with the sweeps.  Even with light coverage in that spot you will probably be ok as long as you cook some greasy meat from time to time to season the metal well.

If you really like the reds I would keep your eyes out for a 90s era red in good shape because from what I have seen the coloring is just significantly better than the LE red.  They also dropped them into stainless steel performers, but the reds and blues in good shape move quick.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 03:58:42 AM by ReanimatedRobot »
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 05:21:24 AM »
It doesn't help you now I guess but Ralph's and Kroger (same parent company I believe) were selling these 1st qtr of this year for $159 and it was all over FB with people snapping them up.  Might keep an eye out on those websites - they might have more stock in the future.  I really like my red LE and use it a lot.  It's my pizza cooker as well as vortex wings go to grill.  Comes to the beach with us too and has cooked so many awesome meals....  Good luck on finding one, they tend to show up often as Robot said.....

DrewZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 08:44:23 AM »
When they first launched these, I read so many bad reviews I didn't get one. It was my understanding that
the later ones were improved. Do you think Weber will ever do another run like this in the near future? I would
have loved to own one and have hopes they will. I had planned on modding it to the Gen 2 Performer.

After kicking myself for not getting one when they fell to $100, I found one on eBay for just over $100 and installed it in my SSP frame.  The one I bought had no issues with the porcelain.  The only issue it did have was the lid vent wouldn't seal.  One call to Weber produced a new lid vent (with the fancy LE tab cover) shipped to me fast and free.

Drew Z.
70th Anniversary-SSP, A-Code GA, Snap On GA, Blue 18" OTG, Eagles SJ, 18" Tuck-N-Carry Midget, 3-burner Genny Jr., S-320

bthorn9435

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2021, 04:08:27 PM »
Thanks for all the input, I will keep my eyes peeled for one to pop up. Drew the SSP and Red Kettle look amazing.
2013 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain, 2007 Gen2 Performer w/Deep Ocean Blue Kettle Mod
68-70 Patent Pending 22.5 Daisy Wheel Red. 2021 Deep Ocean Blue Master Touch. 2013 22.5 Black One Touch Gold
2021 Ivory Smokey Joe